Saturday, May 15, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 256

Year Two Day 66 – March 14th 2010

My morning starts as it often does, with a workout. I've gotten a little soft in the mid section as often happens when I'm holed up in the house working on new music. With diabetes (My Dad and Borther) and Hypertension (Mom and Dad) running in my family I'm concerned about my health.

I leave for Dartmouth in the evening/early morning to perform with Bang Camaro so much of what I have to do today involves me packing a backpack with clothes and what have you inside, making sure I have all that I need to survive a weekend in Boston. As always my musician friends ask me why I even bother performing with them now that I have so much other stuff going. The answer is as far as musical experiences go, there's nothing quite like the force of nature that is Bang Camaro, it's loud, it's primal, it's simple, it's the feeling you get when you know nobody's gonna dare mess with you with 11 other guys watching your back. It keeps certain stage muscles in tact.

First things first would be my boy Kaloni's screening. Kaloni Davis is an old friend from CAPA and Temple. I always find myself pulled to people with good spirits, even back then when I didn't realize it. I remember during our senior showcase when I sang and would often be the butt of a joke or two and I remember him saying “I know what you're hearing in your head, keep doing what you're doing cause they're gonna hate.” That always stuck with me believe it or not.

I often think about the old gang at CAPA, how passionate we all were about moving pictures and how at the moment Kaloni and Josh Coates are the only guys left standing, probably because they weren't playing around and had things to say which is what art's supposed to be about.

Kaloni's movie The Visit a psychological thriller is a fantastic movie without a hint of narcissism something that I find holds back auters from making really great movies. It has religious themes but doesn't beat you to death with them. He even made me jump a few times. The beats are right there and his eye is a s sharp as ever. I was proud of him. Proud that someone I know from that time in my life still loves it and still has the passion for it and is good at it.

It was from the screening to Lickety Split as I run into more old friends. I was particularly interested in hearing Sabrosa, the only band I've ever booked at Lickety Split sight unseen, mainly because it's three memebers (Ben Tinsley, Mike Oxman and Dimitri Papadopoulos) are among the best musicians in the scene. Dimitiri or Double D as I've always liked to call played for me for years. Boy were they amazing. I see a three piece funky band and I imagine all the things that can be done with them. I hope they stick together.

I met up with Sean and we headed over to 30th Street thanks to my folks transporting us. Megabus is 30 minutes late, a tad abnormal for them. I fall asleep on the bus wondering what will happen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter