Friday, May 28, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 257

Year Two Day 67 – May 15th 2010

Sitting in New York's Penn Station awaiting a Megabus to take me to Boston, for today I have a show with the mighty Bang Camaro at Dartmouth College. I had been looking forward to this for a few weeks now, I knew that if nothing else it would be good to see the guys again. I hadn't see them since last October.

The four hour bus ride to Boston was...interesting. On one side of me was a Dead Ringer for lady Gaga who split the time on ride between doin her make up and sleeping on the other side were a cackle of German tourists who just wouldn't stop talking.

We arrived in Boston around 3 and after a short subway ride there they were, Bang Camaro inside the van waiting for us. After picking some last folks up we hit the road. Apparently there are no rest stops in New Hampshire so 15 guys stopped over on the side of the road to pee, we make even the simplest of things seem grand and epic just because of the sheer size of the group.

Soundcheck was at 3. There were a few kinks to work out, I was sharing a mic for the very first time, and they had rehearsed together as a band for this show, rehearsals that I missed not to mention the volume, I had forgotten how loud this band is. It was a little rough for me but I figured that we'd get through it.

Fillinger opened the show to a raucous crowd response. They'd done a show with me in October at Dewey Beach so I was familiar with them. It was kinda weird seeing the two worlds collide like that.

There was only one way to get from outside into the Green Room and that doorway was being blocked by the drum kit so we had to enter from the basement. There was something about this basement that really stood out... The Smell. I was told that kids pee in the corners down there and boy was that apparent. Decades old urine combined with puke and spilled beer gave the room an odor so pungent that I gagged every time I walked by it. No matter how many hot half naked girls were down there it didn't make up for it. I lasted about 30 seconds before running for the hills.

The time came for us to play and we discovered that the kids had been throwing beer onto the stage from a deck above it. Some got on Bryn's amp and it stopped working...not good. Luckily there was some sort of back up system that he had in place and away we went.

Set List
Out On The Streets
Pleasure Pleasure
Swallow The Razor
Night Lies
You Know I Like My Band
Bang Camaro
Rock of Mages
Thunderclap
Revolution
Push Push Lady Lightning
F.Y.T.F.O

Encore
Blood Red Rock
Nightlife Commando

I was really worried that I would forget everything but as soon as the music started playing it was like the Viper Room was yesterday. It's really like riding a bike.

The frat kids were appreciative, fun, and boy were they rowdy. It was quite the party after wards. I'll save the details for another time. Once we figure out what we're doing I'll be headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter