Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 258

Year Two Day 86 – June 3rd 2010

Today is the first day of the sessions for the new Boy Wonder album.

As I rode the bus to the studio I thought of how much had changed in the two years plus since I went in the studio to record what would become Superego. I had a 9-5 job and had just taken over Philly Rising, I was booking at The Mansion and had just taken a residency at a Place called Lickety Split. Jake and Rob were my unit Rob had been with me maybe less than a year. I wasn't terribly sure of myself, all I knew was that these songs were good and if I did them right I might be able to sell more records than I had previously. I had given up on local media giving a crap about my work I just wanted to make a good record.

I'd done that bus ride a million times before it was only when I walked up to the studio I realized that two years had passed. I'd taken the work I'd done here previously and used it to showcase myself all over the country. I played my first downstairs show at World Cafe Live six weeks after the album came out. Songs from the album were what I showcased to Bang Camaro and the rest is history. Superego had outsold all of my previous records combined, was the first of my records played on the radio, the first time people danced to my music, I won an award for one of the songs (it was local but you know what I mean) there's an audience now albeit a small one, so following up something like that can be a little intimidating.

Fortunately I have enough of what worked last time to make me comfortable. Jake and Rob are the Rhythm Section, I'm back at Range Recording Studios, I've got my gear, and a few songs that I like in my back pocket. I was running late, Jake was there when I arrived as we waited on Rob and Joe to show up. I go to grab a six pack as Joe walks into the studio.

Joe Bisirri, the producer/engineer for this particular project. Skinny guy mad scientist type. Primarily I know him from beign the bassist for one of my favorite local bands City Line. As I got to know him I learned he was producing their stuff and he'd really whipped them into shape. He'd done some work with Mat Duke and John Legend so I figured someone with that broad a body of work would know what to do with me. We've had a few meetings prior to this session. He's heard the tunes and he has a bunch of stuff in a box, mics and stuff and as Rob arrives he uses the next two hours setting up drums. I'm a little anxious, cause I'm paying by the hour but he's assuring me it will be worth it.

Two hours pass and we begin to lay down tracks the way we did it before the three of us in a room playing some music. One thing was extremely apparent as the sessions progressed...that Joe wasn't gonna let anything just slide by. Didn't matter how long it took we were gonna get good takes. Also we're gonna be relaying down guitars. I do prefer the sound of the three pieces playing together but making this record is going to be about stretching and doing stuff I hadn't done previously which is what it should always be about.

Fast forward 8 hours later we got exactly half of what we needed. We're behind where I'd like us to be but the stuff sounds awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter