Monday, August 29, 2011

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 280

Year Three Day 150 – August 5th 2011

It's 4 am and I must be lonely...I think that's right...the time at least. This reminds me of our first tour through the mid west; get up early, drive 9 hours, play a show, find a hotel room, sleep, get up, and do it all over again.

10 Hours to DC. The most focused Drive ever, constantly looking at Tom Tom hoping that the arrival time is the actual arrival time. I'd panic everytime one of us had to pee.

We got there around 5 and went up one flight of stairs...this place is too small for us to do a full on show. I remember back to the emails exchanged with the booker for the room asking if there was room for a band of my size and her responding oh yes of course. I immediately decided we'd play a quieter Set tonight.

Steve Marchion Got a Chance to Open...Dude's getting better and better and if I have anything to do with that I'm glad.

Set List

SlowDance
How Can This Be Love
Get Me To California
Surrender
Ex-Girlfriend
Wasn't Supposed to Be This Way
(I Think We Should) Breakup

We Definitely Cut the Set Short as to not wear out our welcome...all the people at the venue were super cool and we wanted to get out of their way. Casey was there, He and Julie just moved to DC it was like we still lived in the same city. A few hours later we left headed towards home.

As we drove we realized the headlights were out, the first real problem we've had with the van since we started using it for the tours. I'm aware that it isn't exactly the lap of luxury, but it runs, I'm thankful to have it. Someday maybe we'll get a sweet vehicle with a trailer which would be amazing.

Steve decided to drive with the blinkers on, we hit a bump and the lights come back on.

As Steve and I are talking in the car approaching Philly I settle into my seat and reflect. This particular tour was hard. I've grown comfortable touring the midwest, people like us there and come see us when we're in town or at least people are out when we go places and we can win them over and it just wasn't as strong in any of the three cities we played. I need to do a better job of getting us in front of people.

I laugh to myself because I look around and all of this is as routine as getting up and pooping in the morning. I started this journey almost three years ago and the question then was “Do I have what it takes?” and once I answered that question so many more popped up some stupid like “ Should I get a pair of red jeans?” and more profound stuff like “Will I ever get that break or opportunity that would really put me and the boys over the hump?”

One thing's for sure, I'm dying to write new songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter