Monday, August 29, 2011

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 282

Year Three – Day 165 – August 20th 2011

Boston, Massachusetts

I wake up in the morning and I'm pretty pumped. Why? Cause tonight we're gonna play in Boston.

If you've been reading this blog over the past two plus years you'd know how important this particular city is to me. From the concert tour I didn't get to do in 8th Grade to ending up there as a singer for Bang Camaro, to our first show there a few months back. I have a special relationship with this particular place, mainly because it has treated us so well since I've started playing there.

Kyle's behind the wheel we go pick up Jake and off we go. I had some concerns about leaving so late but at this point I;m figuring as long as we get there on time to play none of the other stuff matters. The ride up was quiet, peaceful. Being able to deal with silence is such an important thing out here especially with solitude in such short supply.

According to Steve Marchion, the plans for Boston were drawn by a Drunken Toddler with Crayons on an Applebee's place mat. I'm startign tot hink he's right. When we got to the street that the club is on we drove around in circles for like half an hour before finding out it was actually down an alley.

The alley way had several bars lined up inside of it. It sort of reminded me of a mini olde city. Lots of scantly clad women out looking for some dancing and a good time. Something that I full intend to provide. We load into the bar and I run into an old friend Allie Carroll. She's someone that I flat out dig but I rarely see. It's her birthday today and she spends a lot of time up here, I didn't put two and two together to figure out that she would be up here this weekend. She had a bunch of friends with her...score.

Alex (Bang Camaro/Township) was the next person I saw, that dude can't really escape his rock starness, he has that intangible, that rock and roll spirit most of us wish we had. Star quality exudes from him even when he's sitting on a stool. I'm always happy to see him, my memories of him from Camaro and beyond always come rushing back, it's a relationship I'm glad I've maintained.

Mayte would be the last (but definitely not least) we're pretty tight and I'm glad she lives in Boston and not San Diego. That girls like 15 kinds of awesome. She's one of those people that if she says she's comin...she'll be there. Something that is always appreciated.

Danielle Ashley was playing when we arrived. It was hard to hear her over the noise but I can think of a few rooms at home she'd go over pretty well in. She does a good job at drawing you in once you start to pay attention, her cover of blackbird was especially striking. She stopped around 11 and it was time for us to set up. By 11:15 we were on

Set List

Slowdance
Get Me To California
Body
Baby One More Time
Ex-Girlfriend
Wasted
Private School Girl
Happy Birthday
Never Gonna Give You Up
Surrender
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Feels So Good
Billie Jean
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Hoochie Coochie Man
Psycho

By the time we hit the Funk part of the set the bar was PACKED and I was seeing Dance Moves from people I had never seen before. People were into it, I was a little afraid but a bunch of girl shakin their asses never hurt any one...especially the one who grabbed my mic stand, bent down and popped her but...this was very comical. For a moment in time we had whipped the crowd into a frenzy. When we were done being Funky a lot of the crowd left and we finished the set.

Then we were given shots by the bar tender and asked to play a few more songs...Sure.

Encore
The Way You Make Me Feel
Walking on The Moon
300 Miles Away

Everyone at the club seemed to like us a lot, they want us to come back and play regularly, which is awesome. There was an attempt to go to Bryn's birthday but that attempt failed epically.

Our adventures on the road are really giving me a sense of what people like and don't like depending on what we're playing. Suggesting a musical direction that I had not yet thought about. We've got one more run before I shut the caravan down for a month or two to write new songs. We've got some heat so I would love to use that creatively in the studio. I'll keep you posted.

I have two downstairs shows at World Cafe Live this week so I have to gear up and get ready for them should be an interesting close to the summer .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter