Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 284

Year Three - Day 226 – October 20th 2011

Fairfeild, Iowa

Rob Saved My Life Tonight....But let's go back to the beginning

I awaken to the sounds of Watch The Throne Blaring in my ears, must have had it on while I was sleeping. Jake's mouthing words but I (obviously) don't know what he's saying. I take my ear buds out and the words are “Hey there's a Denny's. You wanna go there or do you wanna wait for Bob Evans?” I opt to wait for Bob Evans. When we see one we stop to get our grub on. The banter has already begun.

As we get back in the car I look around, mostly out of the window, I've always liked the scenery here. It's especially beautiful in the fall and summer (I won't come here in the winter to compare it...too f'n cold) We're not too far away from Fairfield I get a call from Zach, he's not home yet so we're gonna go to the Grocery Store and get some stuff to make Chicken Vegetable soup. I'm still sick and Andy (Tour Manager is Too) coughing up Lung Butter For Days, it's a s gross as it sounds. We stock up on food and meds and head towards Zach's.

One of the many benefits in having a band that can tour is that I see my friends who have (in the past couple of years) scattered across the country, Casey's in DC and Zach's in Fairfield, and they're a lot like crack...need a fix everyone in a while. I made soup and I got a phone call from Kruu FM, the solar powered radio station in Fairfield. Apparently the booker at Red Rock Tavern, the venue we're playing tonight set up some time for us to come in for an interview...awesome. Me and the boys finished our soup and rolled down.

I like to bring the guys with me on stuff like this. I could do the interviews myself but it's more fun with three people that can answer questions. Those guys are quick witted and they keep me on my toes . The interview is going along nicely I play a song on my guitar and it's winding down with no problem and then I'm asked a question about my band mates. Along the lines of what excatly they bring to the table I start off by saying;

“It's my vision and my songs but the other guys bring so much to the sound of the band and that I wouldn't be much without them”

Now the appropriate thing to say after a statement like that is...nothing. At least that's what someone with class would have done. What came out of my mouth was

“...Cause music is a lot like sex. Sure you can get the job done by yourself but it's better with at least two other people.”

Yeah...I know. I dropped that little gem on the radio...In Iowa. They'll probably never have me on again.

Everyone was really nice and we loaded into the venue shortly after. The task tonight is simple, play four sets in the hours between 9PM and 1AM, which is fine...we do that on a regular basis. We'd tune to e flat to make the songs easier to sing. I feel worse than I did yesterday as the aches set in. After aggressively combining several different cold medications together to combat different symptoms I said a silent prayer

“Dear God if you can keep me upright for the next four hours I promise I will take my black ass back to Zach's house and go to sleep!”


The dropped tuning seems to be working as I'm getting through the songs no problem. The people are packing in this place (Which I wasn't totally sure about, small towns are hard to judge) and they're dancing, mostly the girls, who are super cute, this brings a smile to my face. I like it when people are having a good time.

I can't begin to tell you how amazing this place was, the people were friendly, the people that worked there were Johnny on the spot with everything, and everything was handled in a professional manner. I recommend any band that is coming through the area to make a stop there.

People had nothing but good things to say and we were invited to a post show party at someone's house ...we oblige...so much for going to bed early lol.

I'm not used to places without streetlights, it was dark as hell going to this lady's house, like something out of a horror movie. We got lost and a cop followed us for a while, he left then we figured out how to get to the party spot.

The stars were out though...and they were beautiful.

We enjoyed the company of some of Fairfield's finest. Most of these guys are into Transcendental Meditation, so they think differently than me, it's refreshing. They live in a world where just about anything's possible and often we as musicians are bound by the shackles of the “Real World” we forget about all the possibilities that can come from just deciding to live your life a certain way, there's much to learn from people like that.

After chillin for a bit the host, a lovely Scottish woman begins passing out glasses of Red Wine, I love red wine so I reach for a glass

Rob: Andre...do NOT Drink that.

Andre: Why? I like Red Wine.

Rob: It's got Mushroom Tea in it.

Andre: Like...Magic Mushrooms?

Rob: Yes

I quickly give the glass to someone who wants it.

And that friends is how Rob saved my life. Me tripping face off mushrooms, something I don't need to experience and the world doesn't need to see.

Soon, Zach's followed by jokes and bed. Minneapolis tomorrow...can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter