Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 272

Year 3 – Day 84 – May 31st 2011 – Iowa City, Iowa

It's been a while almost a year to be exact...back out on the road again. New Places, New Guy Behind The Wheel, Same Band. Since we talked last a few things have happened

Animated Unleashed - September 4th 2010

The CD Release Show Was Amazing! The bands were incredible and we had our logo projected on the back wall. All of the promo we did paid off and we played to a pretty packed house. To top it all off I was joined by Bryn and Alex of Bang Camaro for a rendition of Psycho. It was good to see the boys and Mayte. We partied all night.

Opening For Electric Six - September 22nd 2010

It was our first show at Johnny Brendas, It was the first time we'd ever opened for somebody major, Jake had food poisoning, and we still played a great show. It was an amazing opportunity and to this day there aren't enough words to describe how grateful I am. It was the moment where things finally crystallized for me in the respect that Boy Wonder in it's current form can hang with any band we share the stage with.

Show With Leslie – November 10th 2010

Leslie was on their way to Boston to open for Bang Camaro and I was fortunate enough to play a show with them in Philly. I had an amazing time, Sadler Vaden's def one of the best guitarists around and I learn so much every time I see him play.

Producing Moving On – April 2011

I've been producing Steve Marchion's first Album Moving On. Producing is another avenue of the musical spectrum that I've enjoyed and wish to pursue further. Helping someone reach their artistic vision is almost as satisfying as reaching your own. I like it to the point where I'm considering self-producing my next project. Look for the Release of Moving on in the Fall

First Boston Show – May 5th 2011

We played in Boston for the first time on March 5th at the Middle East. Rob had a previous engagement but Branden King of The Parachuting Apostles filled in quite nicely. We rocked faces off that night and Jaime Kent and The Options really did their thing.

I appreciated the support of my Camaro bretheren, between the show and the party I got to see everyone which really rocked. Hopefully I'll make it up to the next Bang Camaro show in Boston

Tour Launch Party – May 28th 2011

For the first time ever I decided to do a Tour Launch Party at World Cafe Live. The Trick to these Downstairs Shows is keeping them fresh (we do them a lot) and giving people a reason to come out. We shared the stage with Damien Anthony, Phunkyman and Jenna Andrews if you haven't heard her music you should check it out. Highlight of the night the choreographed dance number to surrender.

Other than that it's been shows and shows and more shows I've met lots of people and done lots of stuff. I'm broke but I'm happy.

Which brings me to today.

I woke up in Fairfield Iowa today to the sounds of rain fall and a roaring window fan. It had been blowing on me all night, I worry about my voice as always. We're at my buddy/Jake's brother Zach's house, it's become the official home base for the Iowa section of this tour. I'm grateful to have friends all around the country, we're able to see these places through the eyes of the people who actually live here as opposed to being wide eyed tourists. After some hours at Zach's on the internet sending out press releases and We went to this awesome noodle place and it was off to the show.

The Blue Moose Tap House is your pretty standard sweaty rock club. The posters on the wall indicate that this is the place to play in Iowa City, which made me pretty nervous. I wasn't sure if anyone would show up tonight because there was a dubstep party happening the same night that draws a lot of people. If anything I decided I was simply just going to have a good time and maybe see a good band

The Uniphonics did not disappoint. Blending Hip Hop, Jazz and Rock, The Uniphonics was the best pairing I've ever seen on tour. They brought it hard I can't wait to bring them to Philly one day soon.

The First Show (well second show officially) is always tough for me, I'm jittery and rarely in the right frame of mind but as the people started to file in I began to worry less and less. It's just another gig and I have the best rhythm section on earth Rob Starts Drumming and we're off to the races

Set List

Batman Theme
Superhero
God May Forgive You But I Never Will
Untitled/New Song
Ex-Girlfriend
Surrender
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Feels So Good
I Wanna Be Your Lover
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Hit Me Baby One More Time
Psycho

We had to play longer than I thought but by the time we got to Surrender I felt like I had an already friendly crowd in the palm of my hand. The guys played well, which covered up for the fact that I played like crap, luckily for me my vocals were pretty much spot on. I know it will be better tomorrow and the day after and I chalked it up to getting the first show out of the way. I wasn't at my best but collectively it was a pretty powerful performance. The small crowd was enthusiastic and they danced to songs that I didn't think you could dance to. I had an incredible time.

We ended up at the dubstep party to drink and dance the night away...So far this is the best tour ever

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter