Sunday, June 5, 2011

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 276

Year 3 – Day 88 – June 4th 2011 – Chicago, Illinois

I wake up in a hotel in Minneapolis, I'm exhausted.

This isn't the way I normally do things

This thing has grown to the point where I can't possibly do everything myself, I need help so I have to develop a new muscle...knowing the right people and surrounding myself with them. In this business you encounter a lot of mouth runners, folk that talk a good game and may even mean well but they can't get anything done. Unfortunately it's often too late before you realize who's just talking smack.

As we journeyed to Chicago I find myself still trying to call the guy that booked me for the show tonight. I've been furiously emailing him all week long and still nothing. Tis of course makes me nervous, I have a hotel booked, a van full of gear, and possibly no gig. I confirmed before I left but never heard anything about set times, opening acts, etc. and as we inch closer and closer to the Windy City I'm sweating bullets like a semi-automatic.

So finally I get the booker on the phone.

Me: Hey

Booker: What's up?

Me: We're on our way to Chicago and I'm just wondering when load in is and all that.

Booker: Oh! I've been meaning to call you and talk to you. I don't work at The Tonic Room anymore.

Me: Excuse me?

Booker: Yeah, but I handed off your information to the new guy

Hangs up

I call Booker #2

Booker 2: Yeah

Me: Hello?

Booker 2: I'm at a street festival what's up?

Me: Boy Wonder from Philadelphia, wondering about load in tonight.

Booker 2: Oh yeah man call the owner he'll be able to tell you when load in is and all that.

Me: Don't you know?

Booker 2: Nah not really.

My opinion of myself as a booking agent back home has increased exponentially after these two conversations. I may not be the best booker on earth (or even in Philly) but compared to these two I could teach a college course

I was able to get in touch with the owner and we were able to load in. He informed me that we were the only act scheduled to play tonight...Ugh. There were no other bands on the bill meaning there would be no one there outside of the few friends and fans I have in Chicago if they can even make it. Apparently the guy booked me in the room and quit the next day never informing me and basically hanging me out to dry. Who does that?

We set up the gear and a few people walked in and as I looked around I remember words that Bryn told me on my very first tour “Whether it's 3 or 300, you rock the show just as hard!” I basically decided that we were going to play lights out for the people that turned up.

Set List

Batman Theme
Superhero
God May Forgive You But I Never Will
Ex Girlfriend
New/Untitled Song
Surrender
How Can This Be Love
Always Givin Me The Blues
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Feels So Good
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Psycho

Encore
Walking on The Moon
Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way
Billie Jean
Ain't No Way
Baby One More Time

And much like the rest of these dates on tour (aside from Minneapolis) the place was packed as we were wrapping up our intended set. We end up playing for 30 extra minutes or so and by then end the crowd was dancing and when we were done they pretty much left.

I'm realizing more and more how good this act in it's current form actually is. I thought my playing and singing tonight was pretty strong (Jake and Rob are always good) I need to get it more exposed in these different markets. If I can get more people there I know we can deliver a great show and get a buzz going. I just need to find the right person to partner up with in each city. This is something I will be going over in my head for quite sometime upon my return home

We ended the night dancing the night away at a few clubs in Chicago. It was a great opportunity to meet some of the natives and see what it was all about. We had a great time and Mexican food for the 3rd day in a row.

Indianapolis is tomorrow, last stop, we'll finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter