Thursday, June 2, 2011

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 273

Year 3 – Day 85 – June 1st 2011 – Des Monies, Iowa

Year One - Day 29 – April 9th 2009 – Clearlake, Iowa

We get back on the road and hit a bunch of traffic in Minnesota we finally get free and Rodrigo gets off of the road in order to stop for Gas and pee. Then I hear a sound, I don’t know anything about cars but I could kind of tell that it was a bad sound. Then the car stops moving…crap. We cut it off and restart it...nothing. It’s obvious that something has gone horribly wrong. We then thought that if we pushed it maybe it would start like Daniel’s mom’s car in the Karate Kid…nothing doing. We were able to push it off of the ramp and onto the side of the road. Someone called Triple A, Rod and Zach went to get transmission fluid, and I had to pee so I went to the bathroom.

Upon my return I saw a cop with a dog in the back and a cop questioning one of my band mates. All I could think of is I hope we’re not goin to jail, I am to small and pretty and will be passed around like a carton of cigarettes. They seemed to be assisting us. Then the cop drops a bomb

Cop: Everything looks in order

Alex: Thank you for all your help

Cop: No Problem

Alex: So where are we exactly

Cop: Clear Lake, Iowa where the music died.
Alex: Come again?

Cop: Yeah where Buddy holly’s plane crashed.

So um you mean to tell me our van breaks down where the music died? Great! Funny how everything balances itself out. The sheer joy of the past three days damn near negated by the van breaking down.


This was the night Bang Camaro was supposed to play at Vaudeville Mews, In Des Moines Iowa with Electric Six. Obviously with the car trouble we didn't make it and would catch up with them later on that week. So on that first trek around the country Vaudeville Mews was the only venue we missed, I didn't get a chance to play here...till tonight.

We hung out at Zach Dean's for a final day, a day that started off with a killer hangover. There's a reason I don't normally drink on the road...cause I feel like crap all day. Andrew, Rob and I went to McDonalds and I couldn't eat anything...booo.

We made the ride to Des Moines stopped at a German restaurant and drank beer out of a 32 ounce glass boot, it was pretty clutch, then it was off to the show.

As I walked into the venue the first thing that crossed my mind was, “How on Earth were Bang Camaro gonna fit on that stage?” Crystal City and The Half Hearts Rocked out like only they can. It was an awesome looking place, albeit empty. I had consigned myself to the notion that we may be playing for just the bar tender, the sound guy, and the bands tonight

Set List

Batman Theme
Superhero
God May Forgive You But I Never Will
Ex-Girlfriend
Untitled/New Song
Surrender
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Feels So Good
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Body
How Can This Be Love
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Hit Me Baby One More Time
Private School Girl
Walking on The Moon
3000 Miles Away
Psycho

The place was pretty lonely until we were about 2/3rds through our planned set then there was a rush of people and they wanted to dance, so we kept it funky for the most part and grooved with them until I couldn't sing anymore. We went over really well with the few that were there, met some cool people, and played a great show...All in all it was a pretty good night and I think we laid an excellent foundation to return here later.

We climb in the van to go towards Minneapolis, I'm soaked in sweat, I'm tired, but I feel awesome, can't wait to see everyone in the Twin Cities tomorrow and Friday, it's gonna be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter