Saturday, March 10, 2012

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 290

Year Three – Day 303 – January 3, 2012

Northampton, Massachusetts

Getting out of here seems to be the craziest part of being on the road. I knew we had a long drive so I was able to get Philly business done in the car.

Tonight was the first night of my first real acoustic run. I'm giving it a shot because it's a new challenge, something I've never really done, I can tour more if I can do both, and ultimately it will make me a better performer when I play with the band. I'm still not as comfortable alone on stage as I'd like to be. So this would ultimately be a good experience for me. Just me, Andrew and The Road.

I love being on the road, just watching the trees go by fills me with a joy that I rarely get doing anything else. Home is home but I feel like I'm actually doing this for real more often when I'm out here.

After about six hours we pulled into Bishops Lounge , it took us about 30 minutes to find it, mainly cause it was stacked on top of two other restaurants. The security guard was pretty awesome as I rolled into the room. The lights were dimmed you could only see the bandstand. It was a little on the small side but you could feel the energy. I felt more comfortable when the house band played. It was vibey, I could tell when Jamie (Kent) walked in and several musicians walked in after...that this was a place musicians came out to hang.

About half an hour goes by and they ask me to stroll up. As usual I didn't know what I was gonna play. If I'm lucky I know the first three tunes in any give solo acoustic set. I'm not as disciplined alone as I am with the boys , which is probably why I'm not as good by myself as I am with them. I walk up to the mic and say hello

Set List
Slowdance
Get Me To Califronia
Wasn't Supposed to Be This Way
Never Gonna Give You Up
Surrender
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Feels So Good
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Hangover
Psycho

I was well received, people either dug it or were just being polite. Just in case it's the former I rarely dig deeper. Generally people don't like it when you argue with them when they give you a compliment so I just smile and say thank you. I simply think in my mind that I'll have another shot at Vivaldi. I'll be good tomorrow.

Did I mention it's UnGodly Cold outside. I mean these New Englanders are tough, don;t think I could function in 13 degrees on a daily basis. It pretty much sucks lol.

Jamie Kent of Jamie Kent and The Options was kind enough to give us a place to stay. The hosue was awesome and after a phone call or two I would sleep like a baby and dream of new york.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter