Saturday, March 10, 2012

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 291

Year Three - Day 304 – January 4th 2012

New York, New York

I don't feel very professional today.

I woke up coming off what I felt like was a B+ (at best) performance in Northampton and was ecited for another crack at it in New York. Then I got the email, the one saying that I had gotten the dates wrong, that the show was January 5th (Tomorrow) and not January 4th (Today) the day that I would be arriving in NewYork. Tomorrow I have a show at World Cafe Live, meaning I can't play at Vivaldi. People are pissed, but no more pissed than I am at myself for doing something like this.

Professionalism is something that I value. Everybody can't be talented, everybody can't be proficient musically, everybody can't draw huge crowds, but everybody can be professional. All it means is showing up on time and doing what you were brought in to do. It's not pro to forget the date you're playing. I mean who does that? Fumble, Fail, Epic Fail, etc. This shit matters to me. I wanted to play this show, I was excited about it. I won't get to do it...probably ever now and I have no one to blame but myself.

As I beat myself up with one hand, on the other I realize I am a man with two choices. I can either go home or try to make the best of a night in New York City, a city that I count the good experiences I've had in it on one hand. I was able to find a fe places that would have me...Thank God for the internet.

First up R Bar

We park in a lot, we roll around the corner, R Bar is Closed.

Let's try this again shall we.

First up Paddy Reilly's Music Bar.

I hit the stage at 7 or so.

Set List

Wasn't Supposed to Be This Way
How Can This Be Love
Take on Me
Surrender
(I Think We Should) Breakup

It was a lot better than last night. I felt stronger, better, etc.

Well received in that New York kind of way. People pat you on the back and let you go about your buisness. A friend from Philly, Michelle, managed to find us where we were.

We met What The Fuck Man (yes that's his name) and he knew where to find the next spot.

Second Stop Artica Bar
What The Fuck Man, the superhero of rock, donned with a yellow hoodie, a utility belt armed with a light saber, phone, and capo, a guitar and sick songs, showed us an open mic at the Artica Bar nearby. I'm like why not. This would mean technically I'd play here twice tonight. The four of us had dinner first. The crowd's a scoach more upper crust then at Paddy's. It's two songs but I feel like I can do it

Set List

Slowdance
Never Gonna Give You Up

Crowd was good. I noticed that no one seems to have the contempt for open mics here like they do in Philly. New Yorkers just seem to ignore shit they don't like.

Bottom line, a bonehead move by me could have tanked an entire evening but it turned out to be cool. Hopefully this sin will be forgiven and I can return to rock New York the right way. I'll be a taste tester on Fear Factor before I ever let something like this happen again

I still have fire, I'm hungry to succeed, these are all good things.

Philly Tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter