Friday, July 6, 2012

Boy Wonder: Professional Musican 295


Year Four

June 28th 2012

Washington DC

I've been doing more touring this year. After last summer's tour of the south my desire to be on the road had increased ten fold, I just like being out here. That desire has been coupled with a desire to find a way to be as interesting an act without the band and the volume as I am with them. Let's face it, I can play more if I can do both, and doing the switching back and forth keeps it fresh for me. This week I had two very important acoustic shows featuring Electric Six's Dick Valentine. Tuesday's Show was here at World Cafe Live, probably the biggest HYPE! Show we've ever done in terms of having a name perform, and Today at The Black Cat. I decided on both days to play with Bob Beach. For those of you who don't know Bob Beach he's a harmonica/flute player extraordinaire who has appeared on my last two albums and on-stage with me several times. He picked me up and in short order we made our way down.

The funny thing about this particular show is that I was just in DC this past weekend for my best friends wedding and walked past The Black Cat the morning of on our way to brunch.

We got there and I was excited we had our own dressing room, a free meal, and 11 drink tickets (it's the little things in life you treasure) and even more excited to be rehearsing Dirt in The Ground with Dick. I was going to join him on-stage during his set. First things first I had to play.

Set List
Slowdance
Hangover
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Surrender
Baby One More Time
Swim

Dick Valentine (as usual) tore it up. The man is a true craftsman, my favorite part about Electric Six has always been the songs. They are always really well written and constructed and this solo acoustic album shows that off even more. We hopped up for dirt in the ground and it was pretty freakin cool.

I left the stage, worked the room, and sold some CDs. After that I burned through some of those drink tickets and we went home. As I nodded off in the car I thought to myself “I may be the only dude that's ever sang on stage with Dick Valentine and Adam Levine.” Pretty eclectic company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter