Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 297


Year Four

July 7th 2012

Louisville, Kentucky

We get up and we're out of this Popsicle stand, mainly because a popsicle stand would melt in this heat. Leave it to me to book our summer tour during the hottest week of the year so far, I mean jeeze lol. We've got a day off so we can have some time in the Twin Cities before tomorrow's show. Minneapolis /St Paul is like a second home to me...it's the place (besides Philly) that has been the most receptive to my music and our band. Long story short all of these people have been nothing short of amazing since the day we've met them.

Danville, Illinois

Andrew: The Car's Overheating

Rob: Let's Shut the Air Off

A Few Miles Later

Andrew: Do You Smell That?

Me: Yeah...Pull over

We stop

Me: The Car is Smoking...This isn't good.

So we're on the side of the road as I attempt to call Allstate to get us a tow. It's hotter than hell outside, so obviously I'm not a happy camper. I know nothing about cars other than what my dad said. “If it's the water pump you are screwed”

A kindly police officer drives by

Officer: So are you guys taking a break or just breaking down.

Andy: The car is smoking might just be over heated.

We were picked up by the lovely folks at Carnaghi Towing. The tow truck driver looked excatly as one would think (a stock fellow with “chew” stained teeth) We weren't sure what we'd find upon arrival as we sat there and waited to see what was wrong.

Repair Guy: Well guys it's the water pump, not an easy fix. It would be monday before we could work on it.

Clearly this man doesn't realize I have s how with The Knux tomorrow...what do you mean you can't work on it till Monday​?

I am clearly devastated and now I have to make a decision, do I want to find a way to play this show or do I pack it in. Either are valid reactions to this situation I don't think anyone would blame me for packing it in right now. But this show was the reason we're out here, we're opening for a major label act in front of our friends and fans. This could be the biggest show we've ever played outside of Philadelphia so I wasn't goin to let this stop me, I vowed to do whatever it took to get to St. Paul tomorrow.

Me: Excuse me sir is there a car rental place here

Repair Guy: Closed

Me: U-Haul?

Repair Guy: Closed at Noon

Me: Really?

Repair Guy: Welcome to Danville.

The good news was after all of us (including the repair guy) calling around we were able to find a car rental place in Champagne, IL the bad news was it was a $90 cab ride to Champagne. We wait for 45 minutes and the cab arrives a young brother drivin, good sign.

Cab Driver: What kind of music y'all listen to.

Andy: Whatever.

Cab Driver: I was listenin to DMX when I pulled up.

Me: That Works
And we're off. We drive past the exit that we were stranded at with the van earlier that day.

Cab Driver: So I was tellin this bitch I was like I need to stop and get the jack and spare tire but she sent me out on this bull shit.

We hear a flopping sound

Cab: What the fuck is that?

Rob: Sir it seems as if you have a flat tire.

He goes outside

Cab Driver: I got a munthfuckin flat tire

Me: COME ON!

Clearly I'm frustrated, the unexpected expense of the cab ride the repair and the rental and the cab taking us to the rental car gets a flat tire. I mean jeeze lol.

Cab Driver: I wanna know which one of y'all muthafuckers is comin to get me...Listen guys someone's gonna come get you and take you to the airport...I'm sick of you muthafuckas fuckin wit my paper.

Five minutes after he hangs up another cab driver arrives and takes us to the airport, we rent the car and take it back to the dealership and manage to pack just about everything in the car and head towards St. Paul.

Stillwater, Minnesota

We arrived at the hotel around 6 AM and man am I tired. Our room wasn't clean when we arrived, they gave us new keys but they didn't work, but once we got everything squared away I was able to shower and sleep.

Can't wait for Amsterdam tomorrow...or today...I don't even know anymore



No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter