Friday, July 6, 2012

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 294


Year Four

April 21st 2012

Los Angeles, California

Today was busy, once I realized I had to go shopping because Mary told me that we were getting dressed up for this. It was sort of a whirlwind from wake up to sleep and it's all kind of a blur at this point.

We arrived at Genghis Cohen and the plan was to go back and forth sort of like a songwriter's circle but with two people. Mary would play and then I would play with Melinda. I was pretty confident that it would go well and I was very pleasantly surprised to see people file in for me. As a booker (and to a lesser extent a promoter) of shows back home I always try to hammer home to the other bands and artists that you absolutely cannot rely on anyone else but yourself to bring people if you want them there. Anyone else bringing people out should be a bonus. But that's another conversation.

The back and forth worked out really well for both of us, with both of us bringing good crowds everyone was captive for the entire hour long plus presentation of two distinct singer/songwriters who have more in common than I even realized. It even included “Feel You” a song we wrote together the night before, and like most things in a flash it was over. People don't realize the amount of work and anxiety that goes into playing an hour long show. I was able to connect with some old friends and some family that have left Philly and moved to the LA area. It was really really awesome.

A celebration with Danielle and now I'm off to bed...I've got a long stint in an airport before a flight home. Full of food and wine I can't help but think about how incredibly blessed I am and how much bigger I want this to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter