Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 244

Day 365 - March 9th 2010

Today marks the end of a full year on this strange and wonderful journey that I've been on. Doing music and music related things instead of working in an office.

In the past 365 days I've been all over the country, seen some sights, been on national tv, the radio, rode in vans, and met some awesome people. It's been a wild ride filled with ups and downs but I'm a better person because of it.

Today also marks the 13th anniversary of the Death of The Notorious B.I.G. arguably the greatest rapper that ever lived. I often think what the music landscape would be like if he were still alive and making music. That whole period was crazy with him and 2Pac passing away.

As we bring today into focus I woke up this morning with a raging cold...perfect. We leave for Austin in a few days and I can barely breathe through my nose...fantastic

One problem don't stop the show and I had two issues. Issue one was that I had two groups drop out of the Saturday Philly Invasion show at SXSW last night. I would need to replace them post haste. That would come pretty swifly ad Da Rezarekt and Gang will be taking over for Ami Verrill and Govt Cheaze respectively. We lose a couple of great acts but we gain a couple of great acts so the universe balances itself out

The second task for the day would be rehearsing with the band for the SXSW shows as well as some extra dates we have on the way down. Going back to a three piece is weird after the last few shows with the horn section and strings. That's why we needed to work really hard today so that I can be comofrtable with the arrangements and what not. As I write for the new album I'm weighing whether or not I want to add the other pieces or just explore what a good 3 piece band can do. The band sounds tight, the music's a lot tougher sounding with just guitar bass and drums. Two spereate sets for two days in Austin I'm very excited.

We discussed how and when excatly we planned on leaving town on Friday, when we'd get to where we're going and all that stuff. Planning's something that I'm good at.

I looked up at my guys as we discussed the matters and I couldn't believe that I was at this place in my development. I'm actually talking to my band about playing a show at one of the biggest music festival/conferences in the world. This is amazing.

Well it's good to be talking to everyone on a regular basis now back to work...gotta be a rockstar in a few days lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter