Saturday, March 20, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 253

Year Two Day 10 - March 19th 2010

Now Today is REALLY The Big Day...one of two in fact

Today would be the first of two Philadelphia Invasion Shows at 219 West in Austin Texas coinciding with the South By Southwest Music Festival and Conference.

I've been planning this since November of Last Year. I had my ups and downs, there were times where I wasn't sure how I was going to do this if it happened at all. What buisness has some kid from 60th and Osage got putting together an event in Austin Texas and saying this is the best Philadelphia has to offer. What do I know about anything?

What I do know is that we had something good, something unique, something that nobody else in Austin had this week, sure there were a smattering of Philadelphia acts involved in the festival but not to this degree. Just like Chicago Atlanta Finland and Sweeden (among others) Philadelphia had a show you could go to where you could see its vast array of talent.

I woke up early and made sure we were out of the house by 10, 10:30. We got there at 11 and started setting up. 219 West is a really nice place...upscale liek Sauceor Upstairs at World Cafe Live, the kind of rooms we're used to playing in. Mike set up the PA and by 12:10 we were ready to go. I wanted to start on time but this stuff happens and I was glad I had half an hour already built into the schedule.

Catherine Prewitt and the temperature were up first. The newest of us but just as good. Their music is a reflection of the people I'm getting to know, understated but beautiful. The harmonies are awesome and the attention to detail is impeccable. She's someone that will be involved with the HYPE! as soon as we get home. I throughly enjoyed their performance. They brought a nice crowd as well.

We kept the ball rolling with Dani Mari. Probably the person on the bill I know best, she's really found another gear these past few months, her performance was sensational. The only person of the afternoon performing completely by themselves. She also had a few friends that came out to the show.

Seth Glier came in as a last minute fill in. Seth although from Boston has become quite prominent back home, playing show after show with some amazing artists, not to mention he's flat out good, his soulful voice and immaculate songwriting fit in with the rest of the evening perfectly. He elevates the event because of the quality of his work and makes us all look better because he graced us with his presence.

I started to notice all of the people that were there at the show, some I recognized, some I didn't. Turns out we had quite a few thigns workign in our favor.

1) People were getting kicked out of nearby parties and our street team was there to bring them inside.

2) According to Mayte...Jake and I were in The Austin American Statesman ( A Local Newspaper) this morning. Funniest thing abotu that is I can't get arrested at home and here I'm in the paper

3) People heard the public radio interview I did yesterday while busking

Then the big moment, the one i'd been waiting for since I played int he streets of Austin One Year Ago. It's was time for me and the boys to go to work. I wondered if we could recapture the magic that we found in New Orleans or if that was just a one time thing. We set up, we plugged in and BOOM...Hello Austin Texas

Superhero
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
The Way You make Me Feel
How Can This Be Love
Wasn't Supposed to be This Way
Feels So Good
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Michelle
Leavin

The Set Was amazing. Jake and Rob were really really doing it. The nut on My Guitar needs to be replaced post haste, the strings kept moving. I was in fine voice though, soaring over the groove created by the bass drums and my guitar. I felt like I could fly. I know it sounds stupid but this whole experience was a big deal for me, I wanted us to play well and we did. It exceeded any expectations that I had.

I got a lot if positive feedback from the locals for the overall show as well as the performance itself. Which I was happy about. The owners/managers of the club said it was the best day show they'd ever had. I sold some CDs and some T-Shirts signed some autographs. People telling me I should move here. Truly Amazing.

The Vanguard would close the show, and they did a great job.

We spent the rest of the day going to shows (I caught Township last night and Big Bro (Alex) was on Fire) busking trying to promote for tommorrow's show, and just hanging out and having a good time. We met up withthe rest of Philly Invasion Crew and gave them flyers and I handed out the rest, my boys have done mroe than their fair share.

It's been a truly amazing experience and we still got one more day to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter