Friday, March 19, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 251

Year Two Day 8 - March 17th 2010

I don't know how people ever manage to leave New Orleans

Even though the hurricane caused them to lose a bit of it's luster it's spirit is one that pulls you in close and tells you it loves you. We played there and we played well and we were aksed back. So we'll see you again sometime soon, hopefully after the new record comes out.

We would begin the drive to Austin, Brian, Jake, Rob, and I have been out here for almost a week now, the longest we've ever been together Brian's as much a part of this now as any of us, he's developing into quite the solid tour manager which is great because I need the help, as soon as I show him some other stuff it will be a HUGE weight off of my shoulders as I'll only need to focus on my playing and singing.

I get a text to call her Mother Martha (as we'll be staying with her in Austin) when we're about an hour out, so I do that and make sure she knows when we're getting there and she said dinner would be waiting for us when we get there....awesome.

A short 8 hour drive later and there she was, the Austin Skyline. There aren't many sites more beautiful to me these days. Austin might as well be heaven, a place where music is not only tolerated, but appreciated, celebrated and once a year they roll out the red carpet for bands and artists from all over the world. It's a true Mecca, where all musicians shoud make a pilgrmaage.

We arrive at Martha's house, we talk for a minute and she says dinners ready. Truth be told it didn't really compute on the phone an hour earlier but we all sat and ate together. The Food was amazing, from the salad to the main course to the desert. You eat so bad on the road sometimes (I may have to resume my relationship with subway) it's nice to get a home cooked meal. I ate until the itis set in. Which was counterproductive because we were going to hit downtown later. We piled into the car and headed downtown, flyers in hand cause I'm ready to get to work.

Our first stop would be 219 West, the venue we're playing Friday and Saturday. I wanted to see it and get a feel for it. Really nice upscale place, this far away fromt he action I do have some concerns about whether or not we can get people to come out. But we wanted to come down and get a feel for the flow and see if there were some people who might be interested.

After 219 West we arrive on 6th Street. It was like I never left. The street bustling with musicians music lovers and really hot girls. People wearing badges and wristbands passing out flyers for shows, and just simply trying to get noticed. It's real now, the vision I had a year ago when I first arrived has materialized. I'm here, I'm here because I'm playing this week, and I'm playing my music.

We pass out some flyers rolling up and down. We've got quite a few asshole out here, mainly the St Patricks Day Crowd who are mixed in with people who actually care about music. Flyers are wasted on these fools. In their durnken state they envision having power over you by saying they're not coming to your show or taking the flyer and throwing it on the ground...are you kidding? I've got 2500 of these things.

We would end up at the blind pig pub for the Red Gorilla Shows. We caught The Elevators from LA, a really awesome Funk/Hip Hop band. We ran into some guys from Da Rezarekt and gave them some promo materials for the shows. We danced the night away and came home and got some rest. Tomorrow would be the first day of going hard and really promoting these shows. Learning to do this will be exciting because if there's a way to get people in Austin to come to an Unofficial showcase on 4th street featuring Philly bands I'm going to find it.

The Day is drawing nigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter