Sunday, March 21, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 254

Year Two Day 11 - March 20th 2010

6AM

Brian: Andre

Me (Groggy): Yeah

Brian: You hear that?

Me (Groggy): Yeah who's taking a shower

Brian opens the window

Brian: God is taking a shower.

Me: Damnit!

What I saw on the other end of the window were torrential downpours my mind immediately went to concerns about the show...who would come if anyone at all etc. etc.

Me: What time is it?

Brian: 6AM

Me: Screw it, I'll deal with this when I wake up.

I woke up, showered and we were on our way out when Aunt Martha asked if we had time fro breakfast. We said yes and then she whipped up some bomb ass french toast. It was nice to sit around a table and eat together. These guys are probably sick of me and each other but I'm pretty much in heaven right now...I love the road.

We cleaned everything up and proceeded to the venue, where the fleeting ends were waiting on us. They were playing in place of Gang who had to pull out last minute. We helped them set up their gear and quickly went to do some last minute flyering. Did I mention it's cold as a polar bear balls here right now, I mean geeze.

We started the show at noon and the Fleeting Ends started to play. Great sound, Good look, girls will like them, like the girls from Austrailia who came in to have a beer for breakfast. One of the few bands of it's kind that I actually like. They've got a bright future in the Philly Scence and a bright future in general.

Brady and The Bear would hit the stage next, well just Joe Brady cause they wouldn't let him bring the bear on the plane. His down home sound and energetic performance played well to the Austin crowd. Joe's a guy that I've been working with for less than a year, I often kick myself for not finding him sooner. Great musician and an even better person.

We were a little worried about the crowd until the sounds of good music, good food, and free beer started to resonate onto the street.

Dani Mari got there just as Da Rezarekt was about to hit the stage. It was nice to see someone from yesterday's show show up to support.

One of the first events I'd ever MCed was headlined by Da Rezarekt's frontman Supreeme (Well his old band), so it was awesome to bring him out again. Da Rezarekt freaking killed it. A high energy blend of hip hop, rock, funk, and jazz combined with Supreeme's stage presence make for a really good show. One of only two bands to get an encore today.

Katherine Mundy would bring the room to a simmer with her well crafted songs and sultry voice. I stood in on bass for her and wish I would have done a better job, but I love the way her voice sounds. She is going to be huge one of these days.

Then came my moment. I've had a lot of them the past 10 days. If one wishes to be anything more than just good it's about rising to the occassion when the opportunity arises. I wondered if we could conjure up some more of that New Orleans Magic, or some of that Magic we had yesterday. So the show starts and we reach for it...

Set list

Superhero
How Can This Be Love
Walking on The Moon
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
Wasn't Supposed To Be This Way
Wasted
Feels So Good
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Leavin

Encore

Body

...and it was there! It was there in spades My guys gave me everything they had and I felt like I could fly again. I messed up one chord as Sean and Alex walked into the room, I was sort of surpised to see them (even though Alex was playing later). We seemed to have found another gear and the crowd loved us

I sold some CD's and singed some autographs and handed out a few hugs to some really pretty girls...lol one even said she was gonna tell all of her friends about the band which would be awesome.

Township rocked it like beasts. It was cool to see Alex play guitar. I don't really know how long Camaro's gonna be on hiatus but Township seems to be a perfect fit for him. He was shredding like a manaic. We're gonna be doing quite a bit together in the future I hope.

After the show we said our final goodbyes and left like theives in the night. Most of the time we cracked jokes and slept. for fun and giggles I searched Boy Wonder SXSW on google on my phone and low and behold the pic that Jake and I were in appeared in several music blogs pertaining to SXSW all over the country.

By this time tomorrow We'll be home. I'll get a good night's sleep and then it's back to the grind for me. I have a shoot for a TV Pilot on Monday and possibly a show with Wyldlyfe Wed night that I'm not really prepared for.

Alright guys it's my turn to sleep so I'll holla at y'all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter