Saturday, March 13, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 246

Year Two Day 3 - March 12, 2010

Leaving to tour isn't as hard as it was a year ago. I remember a lot of long goodbyes last time around. Now everyone (including me) is used to it I guess.

Zach's surprise birthday party was last night. It was awesome to see a lot of my friends, I can' think of a better reason for all of us to come together, Zach is a good man, one of the best. His Birthday is actually today but we had a long ride ahead of us.

I was up at 4AM, a Hangover will do that to you. I went over just about everything that I had in the basement, even taking a PA in case I needed it. I didn't want to overpack but all my bases need to be covered. I go over the checklist a thousand times in my miond and I still don't think I have everything.

We left my place and headed to Rob's, did a fresh pack of the van and went to get Jake. After a few stops there it was again...The Road. Touring is the one time that I feel like I'm 150% focused on my own music. It's just me and the crew. I'm not a promoter, or an open mic host, or a show runner. I can worry about what time I'm going on and not have toi zoom out and worry about the big picture. It's a true test to how good in fact this stuff is, we're playing in front of strangers again. I'm anxious to prove myself in one of the greatest music cities in the world at one of the biggest music ocnferences in the world. As the crumbling music industustry seems to have no real interest in me at the moment, I do things the old fashioned way, I bring the music to the people. I believe in what I'm doing, it's a truly enpowering feeling.

It's good to be with the guys again, we laugh most of the time...well I do anyway. But I think the laughter is more of a byproduct of the joy I feel (as conry as that sounds) taking this unit far away from home to play this music. We watch movies, we listen to tunes, we shoot the shit. I am relaxed not worried for now about the enormity of what's to come. I'll worry about that later. Now I worry about getting to Nashivlle in one piece.

There is a show at Lickety tonight. I'm not a big fan of not being at least in city while the show is going on, I run the music portion pretty much by myself so I worry when I'm not there, especially when there's a band from out of town coming to play. But usually things go well.

Most of the guys are asleep now as Brian gets us ever closer to a bed (or floor) for the night. As we were driving we passed a 15 passenger van and a trailer...a reminder of a time that seems like so long ago. I think of the Camaro/Leslie Crew quite often when I look up at the night sky. I'll get to see some of them hoepfully while I'm down there.

Before the night is out I will retrive my notepad from the guitar case and work on some material. As a new chapter comes into focus I'm gettign excited about making music again. I'm hungry to be better than I've ever been, to write new songs, to have new experiences musically.

It's roughly 7:30 and we've driven past the rain thats followed us since we've left. It's too dark to see the scenery now so I'll focus straight ahead. i need to be doing that anayway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter