Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 245

Year 2 Day 1 - March 10th 2010

Today has been...interesting.

The day started with a workout as I try to get in some sort of shape for the trip and the shows, it started off as a mission to be able to take my shirt off in the Austin sun and not be ashamed but now it's just like a health thing, eatign as right as possible as well.

It would continue with a rehearsal with Katherine Mundy, a very talented singer, songwriter and guitarist. Wanting a band sound on some of her tunes She's got her boyfriend Kent on Drums and Me on...Bass. It was kinda funny when she first asked because I don't play bass. I own one, I've recorded bass on the first two Boy Wonder Albums and my buddy Claire's album but I've never played bass in a live gig type setting.

They came to the crib and we got to work. I wanted to make sure I simplified things for myself, doing things that sound good that are out of the way. I'm not sure if I've done that but we were able to put something together that Katherine's Happy with (at least I think so) there's a cool cover in the set that I'm looking forward to playing.

The rest of the day would be about the politics and deal making that goes along with being in the music buisness at any level. With the back biting and the shit talking and the strong arming truthfully I often wonder if I have the stomach for the actual buisness side of things. Saying no is as much a part of the job as saying yes, pleasing everyone is impossible and I have to learn that and keep what's best for me and those I work with in mind as I move through these mind fields. The main difference between what's up now with me and what was up when I first started is that this is how I eat now, this isn't a game to me (not like it ever was) I don't have time for the games grownups play.

I hit bluebond for some odds and ends (strings, a new strap picks etc.) and I ran into a fellow Philly Musician and we talked about some of our mutual experiences and the inflated sense of self that has permeated certain sections of the Philadelphia Music Scene. Seems to be troubling more than just me.

Slow night at lickety, which sometimes is a good thing. Physically I wasn't feeling much up to being the life of the party. Good acts though. Wild Rompit has quite a bit of potential I think, hopefully we'll be hearing from them more in the future. The Open Jam was a big hit and is growing by the week. Lickety Split is such a cool place to see a band and I like that fact that it's slowly but surely turning around.

Throughout the day I managed to work on a song that I'm really excited about. I've been really intrigued mixing dark subject matter and sweet melodies and harmonies. I asked about studio time and I have about 4 to 6 new songs so we'll see what happens after SXSW.

Tommorow is the last day, I can't wait to go. It's gonna be amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter