Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 261

Year Two Day 96 – June 12th 2010

Fourth Day In The Studio

We roll in on a Saturday for a few hours of auxiliary percussion and possibly acoustic guitars. It was the first time during the making of a Boy Wonder album that one of the trio came back intot he studio after the initial recording sessions. Joe had ideas, the one thing I'm learning about Joe is that he always does. He wanted Rob to come in and throw some shakers, woodblocks, triangles etc. on a few of the tracks to round them out I guess. Not quite sure what he's up to, and part of me finds that oddly refreshing.

Rob and Joe both beat me there, not that I needed to be there for the session other than to approve or disapprove of something. They were already hard at work.

Lately I've been discovering that we're just scratching the surface of how good Rob in fact is. He like Jake is always surprising me. He's is now the longest standing drummer in the Boy Wonder band. He's got an energy and a modern feel that's really shaped the music since he's been here.

My sentimental thoughts are quickly squashed as I try to stop him and Joe from using wind chimes on one of the songs. They're probably joking but I'm not gonna take any chances, cause unless someone's gonna pay me large sums of money, I ain't usin wind chimes on any of my songs.

I'm learning how even the smallest of things (like which shaker to use) can really make or break what a song sounds like when you lay it down. We must have gone through a bunch of different things before settling on the right one. Crazy stuff.

Of course the time flew by and we didn't have time to do acoustic guitars. Fortunately we've got Monday and Tuesday to finish up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter