Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 262

Year Two Day 98 – June 14th 2010

Fifth Day In The Studio

This has been an extremely intense process as we try to get everything done we need to get done to put the record out by July 2nd. The agenda today? Acoustic Guitar Stuff Mostly, likely some electric stuff as well along with vocals, which would eat up most of the day.

One of the main differences between this record and the ones proceeding it will most definitely be the way guitars have been used. Joe has a way of blending acoustic and electric guitars that I'd never even thought of, stuff that people actually do on records, as a player I would've never even attempted to do stuff like what I'm doing now...which is why Joe got the job.

As the songs build from layering guitars I notice this is probably the most acoustic guitar I've used on a record since my first. I often don't think of all the people that see me playing solo acoustic at Philly Rising Every Monday, to those folks that's all I do. I've been running away from that aspect of what I do for quite some time on record and it's cool that Joe's kinda saying uh this is a part of your overall game and we need to showcase it.

After laying down all the guitars we needed we went to a Whole Foods, got some throat coat tea and went to work.

We have finally arrived at the place where I'm most confident. I'm usually a nervous wreck when it comes to writing songs and playing guitar but I've been singing for almost 25 years. I'm at ease because I know exactly what needs to be done and exactly what it's going to take to do it. Singing full time has forced me to hone my instrument and now I can pull things from my body that I wasn't able to the last time around (Thank You Bang Camaro). It is here when I can become difficult to work with because in my mind if we're doing MY material nobody's gonna tell me how to sing it.

This part of it is less dramatic as Joe and I burn through the majority of the tunes. I'm trying to get as much done as humanly possible because Joe won't be here for most of the final session tomorrow and I'd rather get as much stuff done as possible with him here so that we have some sort of consensus as to how everything should sound. I'm excited about everything so far. The Music is taking the kid of direction I've always wanted it to take. This record is the record I've always wanted to make.

As the day came to a close I received two things I'd been waiting for. Album Artwork and Alex (of Bang Camaro and Township Fame)'s guitar solo's via email for one of the songs. Everything is phenomenal. Although getting the artwork exactly right is probably gonna take the rest of the evening.

I'm excited as we might actually make this July 2nd Release Date

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter