Friday, August 6, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 266

Year Two – Day 115 – August 5th 2010

Toledo Ohio

We hit up Giordano's in Chicago before heading to Toledo. The pizza was off the chain, very heavy, I only got through a slice before we boxed it up. We got some Starbucks and hit the road.

I always try as best I can to look out the window and appreciate nature. I really love how the scenery changes as we hit different areas of the country. It's a little flatter out here and a few more farms then home. Kinda reminds me of Smallville.

With a rough but successful first night behind us I was looking forward to see what Toledo would be like. It's been my experience that the smaller cities/towns usually pack the room for the original music shows and they tend to be a tad more participatory than the crowds on the east coast who are most of the time too cool for the room.

This would be the first time for all of us in Toledo. The Venue Frankie's Inner City...and from the looks of it, it looks like it's one of “the” places to play here. I look at posters on the wall and it's a virtual who's who in rock music for the past 20+ years or so, The Goo Good Dolls, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Modern English, The B-52's, Puddle of Mudd, The Silversun Pickups, the list probably goes on and on. All these people had played this spot and gone on to bigger things. So because I'm a basket case I allowed that to intimidate me.

We were only given 30 minutes so we had to rearrange the set. Jake came up with the set, looked good to me so we did that. As the show was about to start Brian walks over

Brian: I just met Electric Six's Merch Girl

Me: Em's here

Brian: Yeah Out Front

I run like a school girl to find her. Emily (One of the few people from the whole Bang Camaro/Electric Six crew I talk to on a consistent basis) helped set the gig up. I actually was never really sure where Em was actually from so it was nice to have that question answered. We caught up while we listened to the first group it's always nice to see her.

Once the first act was done the place really started to fill up. You never really know whether or not you're gonna play to an empty room when you play out of town, you're kind of crossing your fingers and hoping to God that the rest of the bands can put people in the room. We met the band that would be following us on stage, they were all about 17 so all these teenaged girls belonged to them. Fine with me hopefully they feel the music.

Set List

Ex-Girlfriend
Get Me To California
Surrender
Sexy Machnie
God May Forgive You But I Never Will
Psycho

So how'd it sound? Beyond a shadow of a doubt it was better than last night. There's just a feeling you get on stage when you know you are killing it. Jake, Rob, and I are in lockstep sounding like the true power trio that we've always have been.

By the time we get to Surrender people are clapping along...by the time we get to Psycho everyone has crowded the front of the stage. People were smiling at us (mainly Jake and Rob) and they were having a good time, which is all you can ask for. We built our mailing list sold some product and made a bunch of new awesome friends.

I've got way too much whiskey in my system at present time and have to find a way to keep rob from eating my left over deep dish so I will bid you all good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter