Saturday, August 7, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 267

Year Two Day 116 – August 6th 2010

Cleveland Ohio

We left Toledo with the feeling of conquering heroes...well at least I did. Touring is such a gamble when no one knows who you are but when it works, it works. Those kids could have basically went in the other room while we played but they clapped and swayed and crowded the front of the stage and showed us love, I never take that for granted.

Cleveland was only an hour and some change away from Toledo. One thing that I've done this time around I think is booked things closer together so that we're not spending 9, 10 hours in a car at a time (*pats self on the back*) we're a lot fresher or we would be if I wasn't so wiped. The anxiety of the last two days has made more tired than anything else. I'm looking forward to Saturday and Sunday when I know that I'll have people there and that the jitters of doing new songs will be done.

We pull into the hotel and are unable to check in so we grab a coffee somewhere and I check on the things that are going on at home.

We just booked the 10! Show for August 27th, I've been wanting to do that for the past 4-5 years, no time like the right time. We just booked CampJam for September 18th another thing I've wanted to do the past few years, that weekend's going to be epic. I'll be losing a night at Lickety Split but possibly gaining one at Triumph, that's how these things work, and things are looking pretty rosy in the personal life department.

Jake had a really good idea this time around; instead of stopping and eating bad rest stop food on the road, we;d hit a grocery store and make some sandwiches to eat while we're driving. It saves money and it's probably better for us then the crap one would usually eat out here, and I don't have to step foot inside of a subway which is a nice added bonus.

We laid around for what seemed like forever. Jake came back and put the sandwiches together and we headed to the venue.

Wilbert's is a pretty cool spot behind Progressive Field where the Indians played, Major League is one of my all time favorite movies so it was kinda cool to be near the ballpark. We meet the owner, Mike who's really nice. He loves music and is happy to have us here. I look around and see pictures of some really good blues musicians on the wall. I guess in Ohio they want you to get a feel of a places history and pedigree by letting you know who's played here. We ate and basically waited around for sound check when Paul walked in.

Paul Eager is another friend from the virtual world known as the internet. We used to efed together when I was in High School and College (if you really wanna know what that is you'll have to look it up) we kept in touch via Aim and Facebook over the years but it was nice to finally meet him. It was very similar to the meeting I had with Sophia a few days back. You would think that we;d feel like strangers but we clicked in real life the same way as we did on-line which was cool. Unfortunately we went on to late for him to catch the whole set but we got to talk for a long time which was really cool. He said he was making an art piece for me, he's really really good so I'm pretty stoked about it. I'm looking forward to coming back here and hanging out with him, might just take a non music trip out.

So I'm then told by Mike that he wanted us to play for like 75 minutes so there had to be adjustments made to the set. There was a sweet post game Fireworks session before hand.

Set List

The Way You make Me Feel
Ex-Girlfriend
Get Me To California
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
Wasn't Supposed to Be This Way
God May Forgive You But I Never Will
Psycho
Surrender
Feels So Good
How Can This Be Love
Body
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Walking on the Moon

I lost a string during the Feels so Good Solo which caused me to lose a lot of momentum. I was really freakin out when we realized that after Feels so Good Was Over we'd only been playing for 45 minutes. I had to add a few more songs to the planned set to make it longer. Fortunately I had another guitar and I got through the gig.

Kind of a weird crowd. Superdrunk and they kinda just sat and watched us. Some people danced and gave us fist pumps, people came in and out from the deck outside to check it out, and two people were even making out on the dance floor. But the sports bar crowd weren't as enthused as the kids in Toledo were last night. Not to mention that we were the only band there that night. We probably would have benefited from having a local band with a decent draw on the show before us. Mike dug it and it looks like we're gonna get another shot so thank God for that.

Indianapolis is tomorrow. The first long drive of the tour. I'm excited about returning to Lizards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter