Sunday, August 8, 2010

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 268

Year Two - Day 117 – August 7th 2010

Indianapolis Indiana

I woke up in the hotel in Cleveland pretty stoked about tonight. Lizards in Indianapolis was the kickoff for our first tour almost a year ago, we had a strong draw and met some super cool people. After the weirdness that was Cleveland I was like “Yeah this is where we're gonna get it goin” No one was looking forward to the ten hour car ride, and then a realization was made as I'm carrying my suitcase to the car

Brian: Andre

Me: Yo.

Brian: Indianapolis is only five hours away.

Me: I see

So the plans that we had were more or less blown up and we would have to travel to another city and find a way to fill space until the show.

A whole Pizza, a couple pictures of Miller lite and some sandwiches later it was time for us to hit the stage. I look around and 4 things are apparent

1)The Cigarette smoke is so thick in here you can cut it with a knife (Meaning singing's gonna be a real hoot)
2)My Family's not here (Which means the rooms damn near empty)
3)Vocally My upper register is shot (Probably because of fatigue)
4)We're all pretty wiped

But because we are who we are. We fire up the amps and we go to work

Set List

Ex-Girlfriend
Get Me To California
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
Wasn't Supposed to Be This Way
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Surrender
Feels So Good
God May Forgive You But I Never Will
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Sexy Machine
I Don't Dance
Psycho

The sounds less than stellar. The monitors make me sound like I was in that movie white noise and you can hear the monitor feedback in the house. The sound guy's not even at his post to fix it, and when the time came for my talk box solo he was nowhere to be found to turn my mic up, by the time he finally did I was finished. Cool guy, but because of the broad range of stuff we do (especially if we're playing longer and have to dip into the catalog) we're not the kind of band you can set levels for and go smoke a cigarette. We had the same problem in Cleveland last night (I take solace in the fact that I know these problems won't be problems tomorrow) it can be pretty frustrating because you do all you can to put on a good show but if the sound guy's not paying attention it's not gonna go right.

My voice is shot and I don't get it going really till midway thorough the set. Unbeknowst to me the few people there are falling in love with us. There aren't many people there but the numbers are increasing. I talk to a guy that runs a couple of radio stations in town who was interested in the possibility of airing some of the tunes on the station (A tremendous help for when we return to Indy) and the promoter of the event wants us back. He likes us so much he wants us to play a short set tonight for the new people that just came in.

Set List
How Can This Be Love
Hit Me Baby One More Time
Wasted

I think we really proved our steel the past few days. It's easy to be professional and kick ass when things are going well. It's harder

We hung out for a minute and then we hit the road on the way to Minneapolis...for a night of Epicness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter