Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Msuician 7

Day 6 - March 17th 2009 - Mechanicsburg VA - The Open Road

Pulled into the Mechanicsburg Ramada around 7PM last night. Once we settled the guys talked about going to Wal-Mart and I opted out. I decided to test out my fancy new air mattress and play on-line instead. The batteries I brought with me weren’t working so I ventured to a gas station to pick up four D batteries. I got back and put them inside, I marveled as the air mattress blew up on it’s own (you’ll find that I am very easily impressed) I looked forward to sleeping on it later that evening. They got back about 30 minutes later and I realized I needed to eat something so I made a journey to the 7 Eleven fearing that I’d have to eat one of those really awful hot dogs they leave on the spinner thingy. But then I turned and saw the freezer… Huzzah! Stouffers French Bread Pizza...Money! 32 Ounce Vitamin Water….Hell Yeah!

Excited I took it back to the room and microwaved the hell out of that Pizza, twas soggy but I didn’t really give a damn at that point. I listened to the other guys watching family guy in the next room, followed by Risky Business. Then I realized that I probably should have gone to Wal-mart and bought some sort of apparatus to cover my body cause it was the fuck cold in the hotel room. I spent most of the night watching South Park episodes and surfing the internet. I was awaken by sunlight peering through the window and reflecting off of a 40 Bottle…I am officially on the road.

Pete was the next one up and we went in search of some Free…see in my world and in several sects of the black community Free is a noun, Chris Ludd reintroduced the concept to me shortly before I left Philadelphia case in point

Chris; Yo Andre it’s gonna be some Free at this party I’m Djing Friday

Andre: Free What?

Chris: It don’t matter cause it’s free.

See me even asking what was free is like slapping God in the face. If there is free in the area you are not a good Christian if you don’t at least check it out.

I found some free in the lobby of the hotel, in the form of a continental breakfast, it consisted of French Toast, all manners of fruits, juices, cereals, and to top it off, they had one of those waffle irons with the batter and it makes you a fresh waffle in a matter of minutes….Yeah Son! I ripped that waffle apart with my bare hands put some syrup on it and got my eat on while reading USA

Today, I can’t get my Inquirer or my Daily News this far south I miss the east coast edge. I may have to settle for the Times at some point…yuck.

A quick shower and some True Life on MTV we were headed to pack up the van. The guys made room for Roxanne (due to it’s ridiculous size) which I appreciated. Lugging it around will be slightly easier as the tour goes on. Hopefully I’ll be handling her exclusively for the duration of the tour so that no one else throws their back out.

Alex took the time to show me some more spread sheets and business stuff having to do with this particular tour. For those of you who think something like this is easy, it’s not especially if you do it legit. Bang Camaro is a pretty well run operation so far. I hope to follow this example one day when it’s time to take my show on the road.

I put my ipod on shuffle (not a fan of everything they play in the car) and for the first time in a while I think I heard 30 songs in a row that I dug. It’s also thrown up some Boy Wonder stuff (Leavin is currently playing as I type this) which has given me the idea of revisiting my entire catalogue and seeing if and how it speaks to me. I’ve been doin the Boy Wonder thing almost non-stop for almost 7 years, I’ve made quite a bit of progress, but have never had the time to really sit back and take stock of everything.

I also may revisit the catalogues of the artists that have influenced me the most. I kind of want to take all of this music apart to see what exactly is so great about it.

Lately I’ve been pumpin Bojibian’s All Night All Day. I can’t get enough it’s really dope. I’m interested to see what Leah Smith does with her studio time. Lately it seems that all the music
I’m feenin for is from my contemporaries. I need new Absolute Zeros, Lightning Bug, Soulfatronic, Caitlin Potter and Nichole Lynn. If you see these people tell them to get to work.

We’re on our way to Nashville now, despite it being winter and the trees being leafless the open road is truly a beautiful thing to see. The stretches without hotels, strip malls, and gas stations get longer and longer which concerns me at the moment cause I really have to pee. We found a rest stop so I’m gonna wrap things up here

Happy St. Patrick’s Day

1 comment:

Counter