Friday, March 13, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 2

Day 1 - March 10 2009

After a month long goodbye to Philadelphia and a short flight, I landed in Boston today around 4:30. As I got my bag my mind wandered back to 1996. I was in eighth grade at TCA at the time and the high school music teacher asked if I wanted to sing with the high school choir on their tour of Boston. They never ask middle school kids so I really wanted to go but my parents, who didn’t want to send their 12 year old son that far away with no one to look after him, told me no. I was pretty bummed out. Thirteen years later here I sit in a Boston Airport awaiting Alex (Bang Camaro guitarist)’s arrival to pick me up and take me to prepare for a national tour. A major event in my life and Boston is a part of it.

Alex arrived and threw my bag in the van, the sheer weight of it will probably give him a hernia. The drive over to the apartment we spent most of the time talking. In general these guys are pretty warm and open people which is good because I have to get to know these guys quicker that I would in a more normal situation. I was treated to funny stories about other members of the band and some general info about the do’s and don’ts of the tour.

1) Don’t be late for the van
2) Don’t be late for sound check
3) Don’t be late for the show

He explained that we’re all brothers on the road, a comforting notion, seeing as I’ve never really been away from my family. I felt a bit better knowing people were going to be looking out for me.

Alex and I arrived at the apartment shared by him Bryn (Bang Camaro guitarist) and Pete (Bang Camaro Drummer) it was a really cool place. Cleaner than most places shared by three bachelors. Alex gently told me that I would be handling my own bag from here on out. They christened it the dead hooker bag and let me know that the band would be busting my balls about it for the duration of the tour.

We walked over to the thirsty scholar, one of many Irish Bars here in the Boston area, place had free wi-fi and Alex was checking his email and going over projections for the upcoming tour. He let me have a look and I got my first lesson. I learned an awful lot about what it takes to tour for an indy rock band that takes 11 people on the road right then and there. It’s not an easy or cheap undertaking. I’m glad a I paid attention in school because there was a lot math involved.
Bryn arrived and we hopped in the van and scooped up Pete for rehearsal which would be my first. The choir is split into three sections A (High parts) B (Mid to low parts) C (Really Low parts and chanting) I was told I’d be in B Group. When I arrived I met Doz Bang Camaro’s bassist, a New Zealand native (first time I ever met one) and a very talented musician. They ran through some stuff on their own. Jake (who I met when I came in for my audition) was the first of the singers to arrive. We shot the shit outside as the other singers arrived. As they all began to come down the hallway a few things became apparent.

1) I am the shortest person in the band
2) I am the only black person in the room

I figured that number two would be true, I’ve been the only black guy in the room for most of my musical life but it’s still a bit jarring. It shouldn’t matter but we are going to some places in this country where it still might to some people. Obama’s election although majorly significant doesn’t signify a post racial society. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t something I worried about even with the band as backup. There is also something to be said about a shared cultural experience something that I will miss being on tour. The bond that they have is strong and they have opened up their arms to me so I’m no longer worried about making friends.

Then the moment finally came. I would sing these songs for the first time with the band and all of the singers. I was nervous. If you’ve ever listened to my music (http://myspace.com/boywonderrocks) I’m not a belter by any stretch of the imagination. I for the most part sing smooth sensitive stuff. These guys go hard, they go fast and they go loud. I just breathed deep and did the best I could. When the song was over I was expecting them to realize they made a mistake and send me packing back to Philly. Quite the contrary, the band seemed to be pretty impressed, apparently there’s been this big voice inside of me just waiting to get out. I’m louder that everyone else which they don’t hesitate to point out.

There was an awkward moment Richie, a fellow B Grouper suggested that I throw a little more soul into one of the songs we were doing, it was a needle on the record moment (those scenes in the movies where someone says something awkward at a dance and the record stops playing) and everyone seemed to look at him with their eyes wide. I knew what he meant and immediately laughed it off to dispel the little tension that was in the room. He told me he had never heard the songs sang with so much soul they even changed a line in one of the songs based on a mistake I’d made during one of the run throughs, they called it a stevie wonder note. We got through pretty much every tune they’re interested in doing. And after a few hours rehearsal was over.

We hung out with Horray for Earth in their rehearsal space afterwards, they’re an amazing band. We hit a bar called Deep Elem and was surprised to see the bar closing at 1:15 (As we all know in Philly we close at 2) we went someplace else and I think I fell asleep for a while at one of the tables. We bounced and went back to the apartment and I got some rest.

As I shut my eyes I thought three things

1) I’m no longer worried about whether or not I can sing in this band

2) I’m no longer worried about whether or not I’ll be able to get along with these guys for two months

3) This Optimus Prime head on the floor is pretty cool

All in all good first day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter