Saturday, March 28, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professionbal Musican 17

Day 16 - March 27th 2009

http://myspace.com/boywonderrocks

We left West Virginia headed for Allentown at about noon. Driving around I recalled that this was the place where my Dad was born and spent a portion of his childhood. My parents ad I are pretty close so it was cool to see where my roots are. My great grandfather was a coal miner here. I’ve always found it astounding that my dad the grandson of a coal miner walking around West Virginia in bare feet grew up to be a guy who got 6 academic degrees, and became and accountant and Baptist minister. It’s something to live up to. I often wonder if I’m meeting expectations.

I was told by Sean and Alex that they were going to convert me into a John Lennon lover before the tour is over. If they can get me over the very sound of his voice than they will have accomplished a great feat.

I knew we were playing in Allentown tonight. This would be the closest Bang Camaro would be to Philadelphia for this leg of the tour. I was homesick for the first time since we left for Austin. Just talking to people from home, a few minor problems with the HYPE!, and a pic message of my nephew in an inflatable rubber duck tub, made me miss home. Don’t get me wrong I am having an amazing time and wouldn‘t change it for the world, but I miss the tight circles of family and friends I left back at home. I kinda wanted to isolate myself but I knew that would make it worse. I did throw on The Police: Certifiable and sleep in the van on the way up.

I awoke in a valley of suck, and realized that we must have arrived in Allentown. In my current state though I was happy to see it. So much of it reminds me of home. Bad attitudes, Flyers shirts, people walking aimlessly through the streets. We pulled in front of the famous Crocodile rock, known to the Philly music scene as one of the places to avoid. You’ll definitely shed it if a better club calls you for a gig.

We loaded in and did sound check and went to the green room. I was surprised to see Richie (Vocalist) in the green room, he had driven down from Boston which was fantastic. We only had five singers since he left after Austin so Jason Fox (Leslie Bassist) filled in, he did a good job but havin someone who has a command of the material is always going to be better. I felt like it was going ot be an awesome show.

I did a bit of walking alone, probably not good. The general dim day didn’t do much for my mood. I ran into some of the guys and walked a little with them. I got an email on my phone in reference to another spot in the LA area that is interested in me playing in May, I would have probably left for Philadelphia by then and will have to find a way back out there if I decide to take the gig. It’d be awesome to get a foothold in LA, I’ve always had an affinity for the place. I really hope people come to the show in April.

I grabbed some water, watched Leslie, talked to this girl, and it was showtime. I was pretty confident going in. The crowd was a bit small like the Atlanta crowd but no less enthusiastic. Maybe Allentown doesn’t suck as much as I thought it did. For the first time I felt like I had a real command of the material and was comfortable shaking my ass. I put my fist in the air too early on Bang Camaro and almost fell off the side of the stage but other than that it couldn’t have gone better. I thought the band was on fire tonight looked good (and more importantly) sounded good.

Upon walking off stage I was treated to compliments on my dancing, a kid told me Bang Camaro was his favorite band ever, that was pretty awesome and made me feel like I actually do contribute something to the band which felt pretty cool. The venue double booked the room and a hip hop show was jockeying to get in to start on time. They entered as we were loading out and one guy was furious when he came in. ”I’m bout to punch people in they fuckin mouth!” He says as he sets up equipment, Allentown begins to suck again.

We achieved a perfect pack of the trailer and were able to fit everything in the trailer (including Roxanne, she’s self conscious about her weight) we got back to the hotel and for the first time in a while I went to bed early. I am a horrible rockstar, but we’ll get to that later.

Tomorrow is Ithaca and I’ll get to see some of the Squad Deep Crew. It’ll be interesting to see what the Boy Wonder faithful think of Bang Camaro.

The Concept Video of Who You Been....?!

Check it out and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter