Friday, March 27, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 16

Day 15 - March 26th 2009

http://myspace.com/boywonderrocks

Today was 13 hours in a car from Georgia to West Virginia. In a van with 13 people inside you find ways to cope. For me it was DVD’s, the internet, and my ipod. For others it was sleeping a lot. It was pretty quiet considering the noise these guys make on a daily basis.

I’ve gotten into the habit of listening to entire albums in the van, tonight it was Sara Barellies’ Little Voice. Other than the fact that she’s cute like the kinds of girls I dated in college, there’s just something about the sound of her voice, truth with a bit of pain underneath. I find that a lot of my songwriting and vocal influences have been women; Carole King, Annie Lennox, Yolanda Adams, Joan Jett, The Bangles, Mary J Blige, Teena Marie, among others. Someone (I think it was Prince) said “Women haven’t gotten a chance to rule the world yet, so they still have the blues in their voice.” I’ve always gravitated to them. They have an advantage of being able to display vulnerability without a bunch of questions being raised.

As we were riding and I was checking my email the coolest thing happened, I was asked by Jay Tinsky to play a Boy Wonder show in LA the day after Bang Camaro plays the Viper Room, two days after Kimmel. I had emailed him a little while back and he finally responded to me and asked me when I would be in town. Everything fell into place so I’m gonna be rockin Molly Malones in LA Boy Wonder style at 8PM. It’s gonna be a sweet gig. I have a bunch of friends in LA few west coast fans I’ve never met so that’s gonna be an amazing experience.

We ended the night in West Virginia, the birthplace of my father, but I’ll probably talk about that more tomorrow. I blew up my air mattress and am now going to bed.

We head out tomorrow for Allentown to play the closest show to Philadelphia on this tour.

Some adventures in Mississippi courtesy of Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter