Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 13

Day 12 - March 23rd 2009

http://myspace.com/boywonderrocks

We left Shreveport heading for Waco Georgia at about 9 Am, spent pretty much the whole day in the car.

We arrived in Mississippi and I have to admit my butt clinched up just a tad as I could just smell the racism in the air, the jokes came fast and furiously. My top 2 were Glen wanting to hide me in the ceiling like Anne Frank and Sadler’s

Sadler: Hey Andre this scenery is really beautiful you wanna get out and take some pictures

Me: Nah Doc…too many trees around

Before folks get up in arms these are just jokes if I thought these guys were even remotely racist in any way I wouldn’t have taken this gig or killed them where they stood. They did a great job of not making me feel as tense as I might have otherwise. I do worry about being in the south sometimes, although I haven’t encountered any kind of racial B.S. since I’ve been here. Besides I’m rollin like 13 deep.

We stopped at this Gas Station and as I got up from my ten pushups (we do ten pushups at every rest stop so we can be jacked for Kimmel) a woman said, “Andre are you a singer” “Yes Mam” “ Sing something” so I sang Amazing Grace, it’s my default song. It was then I noticed I was losing my voice a bit. I thought it might be from all the singing I did in Austin but upon further smelling around I noticed I had the kind of cough I get when there’s a lot of pollen in the air…damn allergies. She called Sadler in so he and I did Black Water together, we should work on a repertoire.

We stopped at a Ruby Tuesdays and got a real meal…sweet Asian Salmon and Shrimp and hit the road again, was kinda relieved when we pulled into Alabama. I watched Superman/Doomsday a quality DC Animated movie. We kept on truckin until we got to Glen’s moms house in Waco, Georgia where there was beer and fresh homemade pizza waiting for us. This tour is sweet!

We watched some Old Grey Whistle Test Clips before I went to bed. I mentioned I don’t particularly care for John Lennon. Alex and I are supposed to discuss his merits in the morning

I couldn’t help but think about home. This would be the first Philly Rising I’ve missed since taking over in 2008. People think I’m insane for missing Philly at all (I am a lot less home sick than I was a week ago) but Philly Rising was something I cared about pretty deeply. It gives artists an opportunity to shine that might not otherwise have it. I heard Josh Park (Old school Philly Rising guy) took over and did a great job. I did get some emails from people saying they missed me tonight which felt pretty good. That job can be thankless so it’s nice for people to tell you they appreciate what you do.

I had an epiphany while I was waiting in the hotel room. I think I should attempt to write a sweet Bang Camaro song and see what the guys think. I’m not sure if I’m ready to do another Boy Wonder record but I would like to start writing songs again. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes.

An off day in Georgia tomorrow, wonder what we’ll get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter