Saturday, March 14, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 5

Day 4 - March 13th 2009 New York City

Tonight’s the night as they say. Bang Camaro would be kicking off their tour in the big apple, New York City, New York. I have to admit I was excited. We had been rehearsing for a week together and I had spent the better part of the last month learning the tunes.

We woke up early, Pete went to see if he could get the side mirror fixed on the van as I showered and got ready. Upon his return we hopped in the van and headed towards the rehearsal spot to load in the gear. I watched as they attached the trailer to the back of the van, I’m sure the novelty of me being on the road will wear off at some point but for now I am quietly enjoying the little things like Bryn and Glen attaching a trailer to a van. I shot over to dunkin doughnuts for a quick breakfast and we pulled off. My first time in a van on a tour, I celebrated by napping. I woke up at a rest stop in Connecticut and bled the dragon.

First thing right of the bat, these guys are a riot and a blast to hang out with, Doz (Bass Player) and Pete (Drummer) in the front seat trying to find a radio station we could all agree on, I disagree with the band on the merits of Lynard Skynard (they dig them, me not so much), the general conversation between the members of the band is lighthearted and it’s clear that Bang Camaro is a tightly knit unit. I was treated to various stories of previous tours and I wonder how my experience will differ or if it will differ.

Things seemed to be going smoothly and then I hear it.

Pete: Are we being flagged down?

Alex: I think so?

We’re being pulled over…great.

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Pete: Were we speeding?

Officer: You probably were but that’s not why I pulled you over.

Pete: Then I don’t know.

Officer: The break lights are on your trailer aren’t working and it’s illegal in this part of the state to have a car with a trailer driving on the left lane.

The officer disappears for a while and all I can think about is that this cop will haul us all off to jail if he spots my black ass inside. He returns back with a written warning for Pete, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cop write a written warning for anyone I’d ever been in the car with. Thankful we get on our way. Then we hit some traffic which was nowhere near awesome.

We arrive for sound check, and we do Rock Rebellion. Pizza comes and after a little bit the show starts. I hang back in the dressing room as Kittens Ablaze start their set. I was told that Joe Perry was sitting behind the merch table so I went to check it out. There he was, one of the most famous guitar players in the world sitting 3 feet away from where I was standing. His son’s band Tab was up next. We were scheduled to go on at 9, it was 8:45 and Tab hadn’t hit the stage, the show was running late. We were worried about the set being cut short. Tab came and went and it was time.

We had a group warm up and the Conan theme blared throughout the house as the fans went crazy. They played Thunderclap and then it was finally time to come out. The throngs of screaming fans were quite a sight to see. We start with Out on the Streets and from the first note the band is kicking and loud, audience was into it singing every word to every song. We get to Revolution and I struggle with the vocal a little, trying to settle down, the nervous energy is getting to me just a bit. We get to Rock Rebellion and I’m a tad more comfortable a black guy in the audience saw me on-stage, he seemed a bit surprised to see me as I put my fist in the air, he puts his fist in the air towards me, a sign of solidarity. I am having an amazing time.

Midway through the set, I see my mother my sister and her best friend. It’s a comforting feeling. My family has always been there no matter what crazy turns my career has taken. I start to really settle in when we get to I Know You like My Band, which might be my favorite Bang Camaro Song. It was the first time I could clearly hear myself in the monitors
We’re nearing the end of the set and we walk off as the band continues to rock faces off, I am spent, trying to pull up enough energy to finish (pacing myself is going to be very important during this tour) I get myself together and we return for Blood Red Rock (where I almost fall head first into the stage monitor) and Push Push Lady Lightning. Then the crowd clamoring for more asks for Night Lies, one of the songs I struggled with during rehearsals, we pull it off.

The show is over I am tried, hoarse, and drenched in my own sweat. I got a chance to meet some cool people, sign some autographs, and load the equipment in the van. The show was a success, it felt great, but I have many, many, lessons to learn in order to fully contribute to this band. I was tighter than I would have wanted to be, but I always am on opening night, once I’m rock solid in terms of confidence that will change.

I’m looking forward to SXSW next week. It’s going to be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter