Friday, March 13, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 3

Day 2 - March 11th 2009

I woke up at 6 by mistake today. An involuntary response of having to be at work early for the past four years (at 7 for two year and then at 8:30 for two more) it was a disorienting moment for me and I got a little nervous. There was an optimus prime head on the floor and I realized I wasn’t in my room, then I realized I wasn’t in my house, then not in Philly, I remembered that I’d quit my job to go on tour with Bang Camaro, I was in Boston, I breathed deep and went back to bed.

I was the first one up and out (these guys sleep till 3..lol) With nothing to do but rehearse I decided to venture out into the neighborhood and see if I could find food and wi-fi. I am a stranger in a strange land. Not a great deal of smiling people here in Boston so far. I threw on my ipod and listened to Bojiban’s new EP All Night All Day. I am reminded that I miss home.

I stumbled upon the All American sandwich bar where I found both. A decent turkey sandwich and my first communications with my Philly peeps. Most ask the same questions, “How’s the tour going?” “Are they treating you well?” “Great and Yes” are my answers every time. Philly Rising was canceled for Monday so I needed to get the word out. I heard at the next table that U2 would be performing at the Somerville Theater not too far from where I’m staying, apparently they’re on a promo tour for their album and they played four songs and answered some questions.

I got back from the sandwich shop and Alex asked me to accompany him to meet up with Sean/Shawn a fellow Philly resident that would be joining us for the tour singing in the A section. Sean/Shawn, seemed really nice, and older guy, lives in Chestnut Hill, has a wife and son at home, and has only been in Philly for about year and didn’t really know it that well. He blogs about Rock music from his own site. There’s hope for me yet. Relationships are often a casualty of this kind of life so it’s good to see people like Shawn/Sean keep theirs afloat.

On the way back to the apartment I was treated to my first taste of downtown Boston. The architecture reminded me of some weird sci-fi movie where really new modern looking buildings were right next to really old looking ones. Everything I saw was really low to the ground. One of the thing I loved about Philly was the tall buildings, they made you feel like you could hide and be anonymous as opposed to here where it feels like everyone can see you. It certainly feels smaller.

Sean/Shawn got settled at the apartment and we got back to work at the rehearsal space. I learned that most of the singers weren’t going to be there because they got free tickets to see Philly natives Hall & Oates, so basically there was one person representing each section to start (Shawn/Sean for A Myself for B, and Nick for C) until Jake joined us. We basically went over most of the set, vocal fatigue began to set in when we went over the new single revolution, it’s something hat concerns me, because I have trouble with the tune, strains the testicles, lol. I’m fairly comfortable with everything else.

Between songs I would strap on Alex’s guitar (a beautifuly built cream color custom strat style guitar) and play (I miss my guitars) the owner came in and said they have a jazz jam Tuesdays and Thursdays…interesting.

We hung around the rehearsal space for a few after rehearsal was over and listened to Nick and Jake roast each other (well mainly it was everyone roasting Jake). Nick and Jake Given are brothers, skyscrapers, and really funny guys. They were talking about fat chicks on the road and I asked “How fat is fat?” turns out we had a different definition of fat chicks, being a man of color I like ‘em a little rounder sometimes (not 500 pounds obviously). I like all kinds of women . I was able to successfully divert attention back to the roasting of Jake. I found that Nick and Jake have another brother named Zach which made me chuckle, cause what’s a Boy Wonder experience without two brothers named Jake and Zach.

Last night I was on Alex (The term they use to describe who’s gonna be taking you home or out after rehearsal) tonight Shawn/Sean and I were on Pete (Bang Camaro’s Drummer) Pete is an absolute beast on drums and like Bryn and Alex is just one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met. He answered all of our questions and I retired to bed shortly after.
Tomorrow will be the last rehearsal before the first show of the tour in NYC. Should be pretty cut and dry. It’s gonna be late though I think since we share the space with two other bands.
I bid Optimus good night and shut my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter