Thursday, October 15, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 206

Day 205 - October 3rd 2009

Bright and Early. I’m up because the band is going to the Dewey Beach Music Conference to party a little bit under the guise of me hosting he open mic at Mama Maria’s. Last year there were definitely aspects of it that we enjoyed, the parties, running into fellow musicians, the weather, but I didn’t find anything about the conference itself particularly useful which is why I had skipped it in the past and would have rather skipped it this year. But the crew wanted to go so I figured why not.

A long car ride was made longer by TomTom, who brought us through Cape May to a $70 ferry to get to Dewey Beach. I said hell no to that and we kept rolling, the two extra hours was worth not spending that kinda money

We arrived around 6 and the party was in full swing. The booze was flowing and I got a chance to talk to some folks that I haven’t seen in a while. Admittedly I wasn’t in the right frame of mind, frustrated and pissed off. I tried to be as civil as possible. We ran into Brian and he gave me the run down about how the open mic was gonna run. We took a break and around 9 I was over there getting he skinny.

The list full and we opened things up with a short 3 song set. There were many acts until 11 then we played for about 30 minutes, closed out the list, and then rolled out. An older gentlemen was so drunk and enjoying our music we played Billie Jean and he moonwalked, then fell in a heap on the floor.

On the ride home I realized that just like last night, although I wasn’t happy where we were or the situation I was in, the act of playing music still brought me joy, spending time with Jake and Rob made me laugh, these two things are good considering we‘re gonna be on top of each other for five days.

We got home at about 3...another day in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter