Thursday, October 15, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 217

Day 216 - October 14th 2009

I had to change my hair appointment to today. Mainly because I will be traveling to the Big Apple tomorrow afternoon to once rejoin Bang Camaro at Santo’s Party House, the place where I performed with them for the first time. I was a ball of nerves that night. I expect to be a ball of nerves tomorrow.

As I arrived at Yoni’s and she asked me how I wanted my hair this time around I began to factor in that I would be performing with Camaro tomorrow and venturing off on my own mini tour next week, I will be spending a great deal of time drenched in my own sweat so I would need something hat could stand up to that. So she basically did it the way I had it for tour, which will be cool because I can head bang and shake my hair tomorrow.

After I was done there I ventured to Lickety Split for another Wednesday extravaganza. We’d been slow the past few weeks and I hoped that tonight would be the start of a slow return to respectability as we fight college midterms, an awful economy, Phillies fever and the weather. I’ve worked with these bands at various places and they always do well so I was hoping that we’d be in good shape.

Lee Morgan kicked things off to an empty room, Lee is one of the great puzzles of the Philadelphia music scene. He is truly one of the best singers and songwriters I’ve ever heard but he’s yet to hit in this town. I want people lining up around the block to see this guy play. Eric G would follow, his band was late but since they traveled all the way from Maryland to see him we’ll go ahead and cut them some slack. He delivered yet another solid performance that’s going to warrant moving him to Friday Nights.

Naeemah, and old friend and former band mate, would go on next delivering her sophisticated blend of rock pop and jazz. There are so many black rock performers now in the Philly scene, I remember even 3 years ago it was me, her, and maybe two others. She’s still amazing as ever and so incredibly gracious.

Erronious Krunk would close out for us. Philly Rising December standouts and a truly amazing blend of Jazz, Blues, and Soul. Even without their Sax Player they are still a compelling act. Lead Singer Samantha Rise will leave you in a trance with sultry voice and radioactive good looks. There’s something about these cats, they have the potential to really be something special. But that’s just me.

If that night of music weren’t enough, Damien Anthony kicked off his stint as the host of The Open jam session which went amazingly well. I even got to play a little bit.

I got home around 2 unable to sleep because of the excitement for tomorrow’s show.

Peep The Krunk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter