Thursday, October 22, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 224

Day 223 - October 21st 2009

Ugh!

I wait till the last minute to do everything but I have a checklist of things that need to get done before I leave

Gear
Clothes
Toiletries
New Jacket
New Sneakers
Itineraries
New AC Converter for the Laptop
DVD’s

I wanted to switch my phone off so that I could get everything done but the well wishers would’ve found a way through. It’s my own fault had I not been so tired after electric six I would have packed my bag last night. My dad had housework for me to do that would likely not get done. But I would try my best.

First things first were the directions, after the Tom Tom debacle at Dewey Beach I wanted hard copy directions to make sure he was leading us in the right direction. I even put the daily forecast on top of the page. I attached it to a clipboard, it looks official. I spoke with Alex (Bang Camaro Guitarist) who told me to keep all my receipts, I remember sitting with him looking at spreadsheets in Boston with him going “This is How this works” I often wonder how long it took those guys to figure out I had my own ambitions.

Second thing was the suitcase. I grab a much smaller suitcase than the world famous Roxanne, and I know I can fit four days worth of clothes into it. I am successful, mostly hoodies and warm clothes considering that the weather forecasts all point to the weather being a dick this weekend. My mom got home at 4:30 and made dinner so she dad and I could eat together before I left. Pot roast, brown rice, broccoli, hell yeah.

Third my mom took me to Best Buy to get a car adapter for the laptop, Modell’s for some new kicks (I had my last pair since the day I left for the Bang Camaro Tour and they were pretty chewed up) and to Burlington for a white suit jacket that will compliment my Minneapolis outfit. I plan on looking good that night.

Fourthly I had to pack the car, but the car wasn’t there so I had to put all the stuff by the door so I could head to Lickety Split.

The Phillies are on, and two of the acts have blown off the show, something that I simply can not stand. Even if you call or email and say “I’m not playing the gig cause the Phillies are on” I’d rather that than you just blow off the show. I have to admit with this news I was a bit concerned about the night considering the first band committed the double sin; not only did they not bring anyone out to see them they cleared the room of the existing crowd, mainly because people wanted to watch the game and weren’t so concerned about hearing the music.

It was a good thing for us Shining TV Screen did a great job with the draw, if I could ever manage to get two or three good drawing bands on a Wednesday we could bring it back to where it was this summer. Meron followed and played really well, even though his crowd hasn’t shown up strong yet there are still uses for him in the grand scheme of things, mainly to entertain a crowd that might already be there. He makes music that you can get high to, which works with just about any kind of band I’d have in there. Before Meron was done the Phillies were National League Champions for the second year in a row, I was waiting for the natives to start tearing up the city again.

Damien Anthony also showed up big with the draw for the open jam. That thing has the potential to be really special if we can keep the momentum going. The place was packed and they were still partying when I went ot meet up with Rob and Brian.

The car was there packed up and ready to go. We were ready to go. We picked up Jake and hit the road towards Indianapolis. Finally the journey begins, it’s not a long tour by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s a nice test run to see what happens when we do some real extensive touring. I will finally take what I learned from Camaro, Leslie, and Electric Six and apply it here, we’re not either of those bands and will hopefully find our own rhythm out here.

With the laptop here Jake breaks out the DVD’s and we watch Ghostbusters, I fall asleep. I wake up at a rest stop that looks exactly like the one in Allentown. I then realize that it’s some alternate universe rest stop, it had a couple of different stores inside.

Death to Smoochy played on the laptop as I nodded off for good, with so many of my dreams coming true lately I might have to start dreaming about Unicorns

1 comment:

Counter