Thursday, October 15, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 208

Day 207 - October 5th 2009

Monday, Monday, Monday

I ran for the first time since I sprained my ankle. It felt good as I try to get into some sort of shape for the Camaro show in 10 days and for the upcoming Boy Wonder tour the following week. I felt a lot better although I’ll probably be walking or something tomorrow cause the ankle’s not ready for hard running just yet. It’s getting cold too so a jump rope may be the best thing for me so that I can keep my black ass in the house.

I got dressed and headed out to Philly Rising. I’ve really been pushing to get the attendance back up this week. It’s not where I would like it to be if I’m being honest. With cancellations increased combined with my two month absence we’ve seen a slight dip in the attendance, especially with the simple fact that Open Mics all over town have seen a decline. Could be the economy, could be that the concept of the Open Mic is passé and we might need to re-think it in order to survive.

There’s also a third option, that maybe I’m overreacting a bit, which was evidenced when an old friend of mine Joe Jordan approached me as I was entering the venue

Joe: You said be here at 5

Me: Usually that’s enough time

Joe: You should’ve said 4. That line is husky

Me: Really?

Joe: Whatever you’re doin, keep doin it.

I walk in and there it was. The line, not quite back to ridiculous numbers is definitely healthy, diverse, and brimming with promise. I’m looking forward tonight.

I kicked things off and then sat, prepared to be blown away by the talent, and boy did they deliver. April Simmons, a big voiced, big boned black woman was our standout, and although I’m always a little leery about people that don’t write their own tunes being standouts but the way that she brought the house down couldn’t be denied.

I’m already excited about next week. My long awaited open mic tour is going to happen probably in November or December where I’m basically gonna go around to tall the open mics that happen everyday other than Mondays, pass out flyers and really interact with some new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter