Thursday, August 6, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 144

Day 143 - August 1st 2009

There are a few things that can be just about absolutely certain whenever we play The Plateau Jam. The first is I’ll wake up like a kid on Christmas three hours before we’re supposed to leave. The second someone will be so late to the house that we’ll get there 30 minutes later than my original intention. Third traffic will always make it so it takes two hours to get there and finally I won’t care one bit when we get there cause I know we’re gonna have an awesome time.

All of these things came to pass as we loaded the gear (I couldn’t because of my leg) into the van, went to get Jake and headed towards The Plateau Jam.

My buddies Clark and Fran throw a 3 day music fest in honor of their daughter Addie’s birthday at least that’s what I think it’s for. Anywho They asked us like three years ago to play and we always have such a great time that I go home and immediately circle the weekend in my calendar so that I make sure that if asked I’m there.

We hit a patch of traffic but it was soon over since we weren’t going to the shore (Thank God) and we arrived around noon. We usually play at night and have 12 hours to party but today we were playing mid afternoon. So it was difficult to keep a lid on the consumption of delicious food and alcoholic beverages. I can’t perform (or function) drunk so We kinda sat and listened to some music. I was glad I got a chance to check out Vanessa Boyd’s set. I’ve always really dug her stuff but usually by the time she hit’s the stage I am 3 or 4 margaritas (I’ll get to that later) in and I enjoy it the way a drunk person enjoys everything. She’s truly an amazing talent and I’ll def have to catch her.

As we approached our stage time there were gonna be a few interesting challenges. I’d be battling this heat, and trust it’s hot out here and there’s the issue with my ankle. I’ve always taken pride in the fact that I am not stationary. I and my guys deliver a pretty energetic show and I don’t think I’ve ever done a show where I haven’t gone airborne. I’ve got to play a show and just stand there or risk injuring myself further. So I had to put together a set list that didn’t have songs that would make me jump in the air.

As TJ Fry finished up we parked the van behind the stage and the crew began to unload and I quickly scribbled a set list down on a nearby piece of paper with a pen I borrowed from Jake.

(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
The Way You Make Me Feel
Stranger
How Can This Be Love
Feels So Good
Love Affair
Billie Jean
Michelle
3000 Miles Away
Walking On the Moon
Leavin

It took us a little while to get goin but by the time we got to Love Affair we realized we’d only been playing for about half an hour so we slid three more into the set. I almost jumped off the drum riser but my ankle started to throb when I attempted to run. I got to sing Happy Birthday to Addie at the end of the set…sweet kid.

I was ultimately satisfied with the show. I had a hard time battling the heat and I didn’t play as well as I think I could have or should have but at the end of the day all of the people seemed to like the show so I’ll take it.

After the set was over we commenced to have a blast. I had my first margarita. Clark makes fruit margaritas from fresh fruit. They taste so good before you know it you’ve sold your first born to the Afghani Circus. I was embracing my new brothers and sistrs I needed a nap so I slept in the van for a few hours but woke up in time to jam around the campfire. We played sweet tunes till about 4am when I went to sleep in a nearby spare tent. The rest of them were still playing after I drifted off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter