Sunday, August 9, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 150

Day 149 - August 7th 2009

I’m extremely nervous about tonight. It’s my first show at Lickety Split and I’ve basically had to throw a show together with only a day or two notice. I’ve locked in most of the bands, with some acts that I know combined with one of the acts booked by the previous guy

With all the acts booked at noon there was no use in obsessing over the night all day long. I decided that I would shut off my computer and TV and not answer the phone today to sit and work on some songs. I was intent on working on some things I had been working on earlier but a lot of it just ended up being dead ends. I’ve sort of adjusted my approach to writing in the past year or so. I’ll work on something for 30-60 minutes, if it’s not going anywhere I chuck it and move on to something else.

Finally I began writing something where I felt like I was onto something a laid back, upbeat, little number that might actually turn out to be a decent record somewhere down the line. I won’t go into details about it right now but it’s sort of my spin on a classic song subject, I’m kinda excited about it. It was a subject I was afraid to approach for fear of my own personal bitterness overtaking the song and frankly making it kind of conventional. Should be finished by the end of the day on Monday.

Pleased with myself I headed over to the doctors office to see my nephew/Godson Aydan, he was getting a physical and some shots (he just turned 1 this week) I was gonna go to Rittenhouse Square but it didn’t make any sense to go anywhere other than Lickety Split all things considered. I wasn’t quite sure about what was going to go down with this first band.

I got there around 6:30 and walked around looking for food. This was the most walking I’ve done since the injury and my ankle let me know it as I was heading back towards Lickety. I sat as Dave and 3J’s in the AM walked in, two acts I didn’t book and don’t really know that well.

Dave opened up with some classic rock acoustic covers and as he wound down 3J’s in the Am’s crowd came in. Once the set up they rocked out, classic sort of South Jersey Bar band. Rowdy, Rambunctious, Loud, and able to get the people goin. As the only band that had any kind of notice in terms of playing tonight I was concerned that people would bounce as soon as they were done. Some left but most stayed put.

Emerson B would take the stage and we just had all sorts of problems. They required me to walk about South Street in serch of 9 Volt Batteries for his pickup…and mine because when I let him use my guitar my battery seemed to be low. After all of the effort turned out to just be a bad chord. Once we worked that out he finished his set.

Joe Zaz hit the stage next and played some Dillon and a few of his songs. I even got to jam with him on Red House, I have jammed on lead guitar on that song with people at least 4 times and I don’t know it at all. His fans were probably my favorite of the night.

Lack of acts thrust me onto the bill last minute. There was a time that I never considered performing without Jake and Rob backing me up but lately with a great deal of my significant performing moments in the past few months (busking at SXSW and playing twice in LA) I’ve taken a liking to performing solo again. I’m really going to sit and work on an acoustic act where I can find other ways to be entertaining without the ripping lead guitar.

Set List
Can’t Stand Losing You
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
How Can This Be Love
Toxic/Closer
Wasted
Feels So Good

I had a lot of fun and seemed to be well received. Funny what seven days’ll do.

Then The Good News played to close out our night. They were amazing I even sat in and jammed on their Encore Fallin. The place was packed from 9PM - 2AM I loved it and the owners were happy. Everyone did such a great job. As crony as it sounds Lickety Split is one of my favorite places in the world and if I can help more people know that than I’m ultimately happy.

I went home and hit the bed around 3AM…Great freaking day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter