Monday, August 17, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 156

Day 155 - August 13th 2009

Today was primarily dominated by four emotions

In the morning it was irritation.

Every year I am encourage to submit to the Dewey beach Music Conference and Festival finally I submitted last year and was rejected. We ended up playing a secondary stage but were able to get passes and have a good time. Again I am encouraged to submit this year and woke up to find a rejection email in my inbox. Which begs the question, why am I irritated?

Mainly because other than the alcoholic snow cones and the sweet party or two that you can get into I’ve never even bothered to go. I’d rather not be bothered, there’s generally no one there that I don’t already know or anyone there that has any information that’s particularly useful. It’s usually dominated by bands from outside of Philly and the aging Philly elite, there are a few decent young bands (Find Vienna and Bojibian in particular) that are reflective of what’s currently happening in the Philly Music Scene. But it’s pretty light on folk music, Soul music is barely present, Hip Hop is non-existent, even SXSW had a Soul Stage Last Year. I think more diversity would really help the conference.

With all that said we had such a good time together last year I may try to see if we can get into one of these side shows.

In the afternoon it was sadness

Les Paul had passed away. One of the primary inventors of the electric guitar and the inventor of multi-track recording. I wouldn’t be possible if not for his contributions to the world. He was also a kick ass guitar player.

He died at the age of 94 still playing gigs, If I could play guitar (and live) for 70 more years I would be pretty fortunate. I own a Les Paul that a rarely play but when I took up guitar I knew that every guitarist should own one. My first one I actually fell in love with it was a Black older model. After it was stolen I got Scarlett, I don’t use her for gigs often but I did use her once or twice on Superego (On Hangover Kelvin played a tele and Austin played a strat so I used the Les Paul to give myself a more distinct sound) and I’ve always been happy with what I was able to achieve with it sonically.

In the early evening it was shock

Michael Vick (Dogfighting Kingpin Michael Vick) singed a two year deal with the Eagles. Michael Vick is going to play here and people were already up in arms. This is a story that I’m gonna be following with great interest.

For all the people that are already passing judgment on the situation I say this. What he did was wrong no doubt, I don’t think that’s up for debate. Will we be talking about it till the day he dies? Of course we will. But the man was caught, tried, convicted and served his time in prison for his crimes, and for his idiotic behavior he will be going from being the highest paid athlete in football to making less than a tenth than he was making had he been smart enough to keep his nose clean. So no one is in the position to say that the man should be a allowed to work. You don’t have to like it or agree with it but I know that if something like that were to ever happen to me (not that I have any criminal activity planned) I would want to be able to get out and make a living.

So many people act like he drowned and electrocuted five people. I understand there are people out there that love animals, if those people had the same fervor for the treatment of their fellow man than maybe the world might be a better place. Some of these folks ask what kind of example does Vick playing in the league set for kids. I ask the parents whay kind of example are you setting by not teaching your kids about forgiveness?

This is going to make for an interesting season

Late night it was nostalgia

I met up with Leslie, the band that clocked in so many hours in the van with Bang Camaro as an opener. They had some shows in Reading and Jersey and came through to crash at Sean’s Pad. It was good to see them again. I took them to Jim’s for a cheese steaks then to Lickety Split. I wish I had more time to hang with them. Down the line definitely, they extended the invitation to Charleston so I think I’m gonna try to take them up on that in December.

I hung out with Tommy at Lickety for a bit before I went home. Tomorrow is the first day of quite a stretch for me so I should be getting more rest than I’m going to get tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter