Thursday, August 20, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 163

Day 162 - August 20th -2009

Day 6 of the 7 Day Stretch

I woke up realizing that I’d left my guitar at Lickety Split last night. On a bad night I try to rush out of there, to take my mind off of it, I don‘t like to dwell on failure (or success for that matter) for me it‘s always about what the next thing is. They locked it up for me. I knew I would have to pick it up before going to The Gap to play this evening, yes the clothing store.

I needed a break from the song I was writing, this particular one is driving me crazy. I wrestled with it for the better part of the day. As the day progressed I realized that I was gonna be riding solo tonight so I adjusted the set list accordingly. Fortunately for me Dad was coming home a little early so he picked me up and I rode with him downtown after I passed by Lickety Split to pick up my axe we went to my mom’s job where we would be leaving from.

As we were listening to KYW 1060 we discovered that some idiot jumped in front of the EL Train so that it could run him over, all I ever asked the suicidal is that if you are going to kill yourself, please do it in such a way that it doesn’t completely screw up Rush Hour. It’s inconsiderate to jump in front of a train full of people on their way home from work. So as we hit 76 we discovered that it was mad backed up. Dad decided to take West Chester Pike to get there, it’s a much longer way but at this point 76 is probably longer with the traffic. At this point my butt’s pretty tight. I hate being late to things

Today I was performing at The Gap in Exton Square Mall as a part of Gap’s nationwide born to play event. At 700+ Gap stores up and coming musicians would play in their stores. The whole event is to laung their new 1969 Line of Jeans and commemorate their 40th Year Anniversary.

I arrived at the Gap at 6:45 15 minutes before I was scheduled to start, and the weirdest gig I’ve ever had was about to commence.

I’m basically sitting in this department store with my acoustic guitar with no mic or PA. They sit me pretty much at the front of the store, I’m not sure if it’s to attract customers or what. All I know is I have two hours to fill so I better get started

Set List
Empty Arms
Destiny
Michelle

This isn’t going well so far. My voice (Which I didn’t get a chance to warm up) sounds like six sides of ass, and my guitar can’t seem to stay in tune and when I’m in the middle of Michelle…Pop is the sound I hear as my A String basically decided to die on me in the middle of a gig. I had just changed these strings Tuesday. I don’t have guitar strings AHHHHHHH

I search around the mall for a music store, I am currently a big ol bag of stress, lack of preparation on my part. You should always have a spare set in your case at all times. The mall has no music store, I head back to the Gap and they tell me that there’s one in a nearby strip mall. I decide that would be my break and that when I got back I would just play for an hour and a half.

Dad and I were able to find a store and I bought two sets and some loose strings just to be safe. I got a chance to warm up in the car, got back put the strings on and it was down to business.

Set list (Continued)
Ain’t No Sunshine
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You

And as I hit the bridge of (Oh) I Wish I loved You…Pop My G decides it wants ot join my A in Heaven as I mutter to myself “This can’t be happening” Fortunately I was able to change the string promptly and finish the song.

Set List (Continued)
(Oh) I Wish I loved You
How Can This Be Love
Toxic
Feels So Good
I Think We Should Breakup
Wasted
Hangover
Little Red Corvette/Highway to Hell
El Train
Baby One More Time
Daylight
Bed’s Too Big Without You
3000 Miles Away

As my comfort level grew I saw people stop, leave money in my case, buy CD’s, even a girl or two stop to look and talk. Playing music is awesome. The cool part about it was I was able to do some tunes I don’t get a chance to do outside of Lickety and it gave em the chance to try my Little Red Corvette/Highway to Hell Medley and my cover of the Police’s Bed’s Too Big Without You. After Toxic one of the staff members requested Baby one More Time so I played it for him later. So many people walked up with words of encouragement telling me that they like it and for me to keep doing what I’m doing.

Basically I rocked the Gap and when I was done they gave me some free…in the form of Jeans. The people there were really nice. The Staff even bought discs from me. The weird gig turned out to be a cool one.

Tomorrow’s Lickety. Four hours on South Street with the guys, at least afterwards I‘ll get some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter