Thursday, August 6, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 146

Day 145 - August 3rd 2009

My leg is getting stronger getting around the house without the brace with little pain. With the help of the brace there are times I forget about the injury altogether. Well except for the end of the day when it needs icing.

Today is gonna be a big day. First back to back Philly Risings all summer, I don’t know if much could beat the talent level we had last week, but I’m sure with the news that we’re back on a pretty much permanent basis people will be re-emerging to compete in our one of a kind talent competition.

The thing I probably like the most about it is that literally every week the open mic changes. 90% of the performers are new, making the crowd different each and every week. I’ve learned so much about how to work a live audience doing this every week for almost two years.

The energy is certainly different today as we seem to have less bands and more singer/songwriters as well as hip-hop acts. I see some faces from last week which is a good sign. Particularly Houston West, the banjo player from Atlanta who’s moustache rivals that of Leslie’s Jason Fox, Jack Gleason who’s there every week, and Tinuke Okyefule who impressed us a few weeks back with her voice this time has borught a band out with her.

We also had a featured act, The Icarus Account, a two man project out of Florida who had been touring the East Coast. I was gearing up for what would hopefully be a great night.

The second thing I love about this job is that it always surprises me. We have a list of guaranteed spots (About 23-25 people) when that list fills up (as it often does) we have a list of Alternate Performers, people that can get on if there’s time, or if someone drops out. These people are generally the last to show up in the line (You have to get there at 4:30 some nights to get a decent spot) and I’m always surprised at the lengths they will go to ensure that they get on. They try to intimidate me, bribe me, the femal performers are extra flirty, the off-balanced people are…off-balanced. The most notable was a girl trying to sing in my ear (with a metal band playing on stage) hopefully trying to sway me to give her a slot. These folks are willing to do any and everything but show up and wait in line. I think there’s definitely a reality show of sorts in here somewhere

The third thing I love about this job is that the talent does indeed come out. It was another night of absolutely stunning performances. Our winners were The Good News, Tinuke’s band. City Line came through as well and delivered yet again. Philadelphia is easily on the level of a lot of the so-called music towns in the country in terms of talent. We just haven’t figured out a way to organize ourselves just yet.

While I was there I also received word that I just got booked for a gig in Indianapolis the day before we play Minneapolis in October. It’s shaping up to be a pretty decent run through the Midwest. My excitement will be replaced by dread any day now but for now I’m deciding to feel good about it.

I got home watched Raw and fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter