Thursday, September 3, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 176

Day 175 - September 2nd 2009

The week before Labor Day is always a weird one for promoters. Residents are filing out of the city to get their last bit of summer college kids are coming back to town but are extremely busy readjusting to being in college or being back so they’re not really out and about. It’s even tougher to get a decent band this time of year. So I wasn’t expecting to do that well over at Lickety tonight. For better or worse this would be a night that would rely more on the artists ability to promote and draw than the work that the venue does on the street, frankly South Street (along with the rest of the city) is dead.

At the beginning of the night it was just as dead inside of Lickety as it was outside on the street. I wasn’t too happy about that (considering it was packed last week) . I know we’re not gonna do awesome every week but when you’ve got 4 acts playing music on any given night that place should be backed given its size. But like I said, it’s pretty dead all over. You had four really strong acts that are long on talent but might not necessarily be good and getting people to see them.

Most would counter my statements by saying “It should be about how good the music is” and in a perfect world that would be the case. But because I’m a performer myself I can’t for the life of me figure out why someone would be satisfied playing to an empty room. I’ve slaved over these songs, my band is rehearsed, I like this music. Why on Earth would I not tell everyone I knew to come see me play?

It started to fill up a little more as the night dragged on and it turned into a respectable night especially given the circumstances.

I got a pick up around 11:30 thoroughly expecting next week to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter