Monday, September 7, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 179

Day 178 - September 5th 2009

I can’t help it I was giddy. I’m always giddy when we go outside the city to play a show. Today it would be Baltimore at Six Flags America. The usual suspects Rob, Brian, Allison and I piled into big blue and went to get the Jakester, he got in the car and we stopped at Wawa before hitting the road.

The rides are always pleasant. I’m not generally a fan of girlfriends traveling with us, but Allison doesn’t get on my nerves in fact she’s a day of free entertainment. She always manages to make me chuckle so we let her go a long for the ride. Brian has also folded himself nicely into the proceedings, he’s gonna be the driver for the Midwest jaunt so I’m looking forward to that. My mom also said that Dad’s gonna get this van checked out to see if we can get it fixed for that trip instead of me renting a van. Double good news.

In about three hours we were there, a cute blonde met us at the gate and showed us where to go. She walks me over to the stage, it looks like an actual theme park show with the staging and the seats. What we were lacking was a canapé to shield us from the sun, and a halfway decent sound system, I’ll get to that later. The cute blonde went to find a hand truck for our equipment and wasn’t seen again for like half an hour. We ended up carrying the gear across the park to the stage.

Once we got there I saw that there was no sound man just a manager that turned the stuff on, meaning I had to run sound. I miced Rob’s bass and snare and ran a line from Jake and I’s amps and we were forced to make due with what we had.


Set 1
The Way You Make Me Feel
Michelle
Daylight
Only You
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Stranger

Set 2
Superhero
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
Love Affair
Hoochie Coochie Man
How Can This Be Love
(I Think We Should) Breakup

Set 3
Feels So Good
Child of God
Walking On The Moon
Godess
Billie Jean
Destiny
3000 Miles Away
Leavin

We played 3 sets first two were about 30 minutes the third about an hour. The sound system always seemed to know when I was at an important part in the tune because it would basically just cut out and cut back in when I was done. I was sweating bullets because the sun seemed to shine directly on me that God’s spotlight. I was feeling very well by the time we were done so when Jake asked to go an hour early I had no problems wrapping it up. By the time we were done the little area had more than a few people sitting in it.

I think these Six Flags gigs are excellent things to supplement tour dates. Even in the heat with a bad sound system I’m able to get people to sit and watch us and I’m able to move Merchandise, you can’t buy that kind of exposure, maybe you can even get people to come to your show that night or the next day. If you’re going to another market and the Six Flags show is your date then it probably doesn’t work as well.

We left there and wanted to find something to eat so we hit a Denny’s right outside of Baltimore, never my first choice but I was pretty much starving at that point. We had a meal, got some gas and were on our way home. We discussed some really dirty nasty things on the way back to the point that I don’t even wanna recall them…lol

We got back around 11. Another successful outing, depending on how you look at it. We got Ithica next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter