Monday, September 21, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 187

Day 186 - September 13th 2009

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES

The Eagles return today to rescue the city from the baseball hell that it’s been condemned to. Red will turn into green soon enough provided the Eagles don’t lose 16 games like the lions last season.

Worked on some new material, it’s been slow as all get out tryin to latch onto something. It’s like a hitter who for some reason doesn’t hit home runs for like half a season, he can get on base and stuff like that but just isn‘t knocking anything out of the park. I might be onto something but then again you never know.

I put my guitar down to watch the game, the Eagles would not disappoint blowing out the Panthers 38-10. 5 is hurt though which means Kevin Kolb’ll probably start this week, I’m not really a fan. Hopefully he’ll play well until McNabb comes back.

Then for some reason I watched the VMA’s. I remember watching them as a teenager with great anticipation. So I guess at this point I turn them on out of habit. I’m glad I did. The Michael Jackson tribute was cool and Beyonce and Jay-Z’s performances were pretty cool. The biggest disappointments of the night were Green Day and Muse (I actually kinda loathe muse and have felt that way for a very long time) who after being hyped up all night were the same boring band they always were. I’m not sure if I ever really liked Green Day now. Dookie’s an awesome album but I haven’t liked much since then.

The award for best moment has to go to Kanye West who jumps on stage and snatched Taylor Swift’s mic and proclaims Beyonce had the best video of all time. The crowd booed and I’m sure that he will face severe backlash for this act for at least a week. Personally I thought it was hilarious…bone crushingly wrong…but hilarious. I mean there are people who felt the same way Kanye did (That Beyonce probably should have won) but just weren’t crazy enough to say it. It was rude no doubt but something about it sits right with me in an odd sort of way.

The best part is that it will probably be that people will be distracted for a while from the fact that MTV perpetuates these singers and artists that have either a short shelf life or make music with no weight. Taylor Swift will certainly get sympathy votes (as most pretty blondes do when “attacked” by black men) but it doesn’t change the fact that she’s known more for what she wears and who’s she’s dating than her music.

Beyonce allowed her to give her acceptance speech when she won video of the year, pretty classy move.

The best part about the night was watching with my laptop and doing Facebook updates based on what I saw. People’s reactions to the things I said were astounding. If people were as passionate about The President being interrupted in a joint session of congress as they were about Taylor Swift the country might be in better shape.

Philly Rising tomorrow. Can’t wait to see what the open mic brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter