Saturday, September 26, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 197

Day 196 - September 24th 2009

I wake up ferociously on days like this. This time a year ago I was practically begging for a show Downstairs at the World Famous World Café Live either opening for a major act or on a show with another local. Now this is show number four. I’ve gotten the opportunity to put on some really awesome shows and work with some of the city’s best.

I was hoping not to be late tonight but the TV Repair people would make that happen. I wasn’t able to get free from that until about 4:30. Which wouldn’t get me to World Café Live until about 5:30 half an hour before doors were slated to open. Great. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) none of the bands or fans had shown up…I’m shitting bricks at this point because usually there’s a flock of people outside the door waiting to get inside. Perhaps my luck had run out with these shows. I only had 3 weeks to put together a show and promote it…hardly enough time for something to become a massive success at the same time though, I want everything I do to be a massive success. I put more pressure on myself than probably the venue does. “Do the best you can” they said to me.

Fortunately around 7 people started to climb on inside and the room started to fill up and Mary Scholz kicked off the festivities. I’ve yet to find acoustic acts that can rally draw a substantial crowd in this town but they act as great buffers in between the bigger bands. The Infadolls would hit the stage next followed by Tophers Bossa Nova Brigade. They have a new fancy French name that I’m not gonna even bother with right now. Once they were done it was time for us to play. We played early, a rare occurrence but I was actually fine with it. One they were done me and the crew went to work.

Set List
Superhero
(Oh) I Wish I loved You
The Way You Make Me Feel
How Can This Be Love
Feels So Good
Baby One More Time
Leavin

I don’t know what it was tonight. It’s like everything slowed down. I didn’t really feel a whole lot of nervous energy, I wasn’t so intimidated by the big stage, but it was more than that. I was like subconsciously I knew that I wasn’t gonna sing or play a bad note. The bands playing everything right. I don’t even have to look at Jake and Rob tonight. We’re super super super tight. I’m more concerned with the girls in on the dance floor, movin to the music. Might be something to this funk thing after all…lol. It was one of the more energetic shows. I’m movin around on stage a little bit more tonight since I’m super confident about my playing. It’s like the level on the video game got switched over to easy.

I left the stage quite pleased with myself. Often times I have no clue if it’s good or not. But tonight I knew. If I could hit it like that or better every time I’m in good shape. Lots of smile and waves from cute girls doesn’t hurt. I’ve finally felt that floating on air feeling that musicians talk about, I’ve felt similar feelings but they’ve always been negated by the dread that the show wasn’t good. Not tonight though. I feel like I could fly.

The rest of the night belonged to City Line, Phunkyman, Jason Min, and Phil Murphy who was releasing his CD tonight. It was an awesome feeling watching Phil have his moment. His album is great and you should pick it up if you don’t have it. There were so many people there from the good ol days. A lot of Outset fans, Laura Shay, Mark Rogers from WSTW (Who‘s been playing me quite a bit on his Hometown Heroes show), among others. Truly great night.

I went to sleep with nothing to do tomorrow but catch the Wyldlyfe show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter