Saturday, September 26, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 198

Day 197 - September 25th 2009

Here’s how a day kinda completely falls through

My friends Wyldlyfe were playing a late night show tonight at 11 and I really wanted to go, that was the plan at least. I’d hang out here at the house all day then move on over to WCL and enjoy myself. I get a call from a band at noon telling me they were all set for tonight’s show, problem is I was pretty sure that I had them scheduled for tomorrow’s show. Luckily we had an opening from 8-10 tonight for them to play. I don’t know how stuff like this happens. What this means is that I’m going to have to go over to Lickety Split before I go to World Café Live, should be done by 10 I should be able to make it over there.

Then I get a text around 5:30, the person had obviously sent it earlier but because my cell phone was forged in the fires of hell by satan himself I didn’t get it until then. It said be at the Whole Foods on the parkway for a 5:45 set. I had completely forgotten about this gig not to mention I was already super late.

I got on the Train and got to the whole foods around 6, 6:15 in time enough to play a 30 minute set. My allergies are acting up thus making my voice not as good as normal.

Set List
Michelle
How Can This Be Love
Bed’s Too Big Without You
(Oh) I Wish I Loved You
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Feels So Good

Supermarket shows are probably the weirdest. Mainly cause people have little to no interest in being there, let alone being there to see you. So you just kinda close your eyes and go, try to make eye contact if people look at you, and maybe they stop before and after they get their organic beet juice or their apple pecan pound cake (I had a sample…very good) maybe they ask you your name before they put their stuff in the car to go home.

After I was done I got a call and had to head over to Lickety Split. To get the band up and running. They played for a few hours and then Tommy wanted to talk to me about a corporate band show that he wants to put on in December by the time I got out it was a little after 10:30. My phone rings again my friends are in town and they want to hang out. I haven’t really hung out with them in a couple of weeks. So I decided to go and meet with them. By the time they scooped me it was around 11.

We got to Oscar’s and kicked it for a while and it was pretty clear that I wasn’t gonna make this show. I felt really bad about it as I wanted to go support them. It’s hard to balance supporting the local scene with your own personal life sometimes. I kicked back and relaxed and had a beer with my buds. Then I got a text letting me know the Menya Crew was at the Medusa Lounge so we went over there and danced the night away.

Tomorrow I just found out The Absolute Zeros are playing at Doc Watson’s opening for Bong hits for Jesus hopefully I will successfully make it over there. Hopefully the next time Wyldlyfe plays some place I’ll be able to go see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter