Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Boy Wonder: Profesional Musician 67

Day 66 - May 16th 2009

I wake up at 11 AM…I’m disoriented. When you’ve spent your previous night throwing back adult beverages that’ll usually be the case. I’m in a ritzy apartment with a big ass window. You can see Manhattan from here. Bryn’s sleeping on the couch and I get a txt from Morgan, we need to get to the hotel in Wehawken New Jersey so that we can pile in the van and get to the gig. Still drunk I do my best to get Bryn up and out of the apartment.

We hit the Manhattan Streets and start walking towards the Port Authority. Manhattan’s a lot quieter this time around. Not so many people pushing me and making me killing mad. Bryn and I grab some Pizza and realize we’re goin the wrong way to the part authority, so we turn around and head in the right direction. As I talk to Bryn about everything under the sun I realize that as out of character it was for me to party all night in NYC with no plan whatsoever I was having so much fun. I had such a rich experience just not worrying about it.

30 blocks or so later we end up at the Port Authority and we’re deep in search of Morgan, this building has a flaw. Everything looks the same, it’s really stupid that way. After Keystone coping it for like 10 minutes we decide to stay in one spot and let Morgan find us. Bryn and I get some gum (I haven’t showered or brushed my teeth…ewww) Morgan finds us and we try to find the bus port to Weehawken.

We find a lady who can’t seem to tear herself away from her crossword puzzle to let us know what’s going on. No one else seems to be able to figure out this clusterfuck of a place either. We finally find the right terminal with the right bus and get on it. As we drive Bryn looks up and realizes that we’ve reached Weehawken and suggests we make a grand exit. Morgan goes “Andre I’m following you”

Me: Excuse me sir, we need to get off.

Nothing

Me: Excuse me sir

Nothing again

Me: Hey stop the fuckin bus!

The bus comes to a screeching halt.

This is the second time I’ve had to be a tad more aggressive than usual. I don’t like what New York is turning me into.

We walk three miles to the hotel. Midway through we see poopy pants, meaning someone took a crap in their pants, took them off, and left them there. When I arrived at the hotel my other band mates (who had the good sense to go back to the hotel after last nights show) asked me how my evening was. I said I don’t wanna talk about it and asked if I could use the shower. I felt so clean afterwards. I was then told that we didn’t have a hard check in time and several members of the van didn’t make it back either so I took a nap and once I woke up we piled in the van.

It was strange being back in the big bopper . I spent a huge chuck of my year practically living in this van. It was so spacious though seeing as though there aren’t 15 guys in it. We got caught up in traffic and sat for quite some time. After we got out I went and got Popeye’s and then we hit the starland ballroom. Everyone was there and the guys grabbed some beer and we were gonna drink it in the parking lot but the security guard came and yelled at us so I went inside.

There were more than 1,000 people in the venue itself this show was gonna be fun.

We all hung out backstage, and after a few beers (I only got one) and some vocal warm ups it was time to go out there one last time.

We played a great set, I felt it went a lot better for me than the previous one, as I stood in the bathroom stall butt naked toweling off to change into dry clothes (as I did in so many cities on so many nights) I realized that this was the last show of my initial commitment to the band. I try to put all of the “What happens next?” talk out of my mind for now and just enjoy the moment. Enjoy being with my new friends as I waited for my family to come pick me up.

Once they pulled up I said my final goodbyes and got in the van to go home. Either way it may be a while before I see those guys again. I go back to focusing on my own music, big show ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter