Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 56

Day 55 – May 6th 2009

I woke up earlier than usual, I usually don’t sleep light but I heard Dad barreling down the stairs and I woke up immediately. Reminded me of the days when I had a normal job. It was around seven and I was excited like a kid on Christmas because I knew that today would be the first rehearsal with my band for our upcoming shows. We haven’t played together since the beginning of March so I’m very interested in seeing what’s gonna go down.

I had some breakfast and tried my best to go back to bed I woke up around 11:30 and hit a shower. My dad came in from a funeral and we spoke for a second. I shared my anxiety about my guitar playing with him. I wondered if I would be able to get it done. These guys I play with are extremely talented and they push me and pull the best out of me. I;m working on getting back to my old self. My door bell rings and it’s Jake and Rob, they’d come together and were ready to get down.

We conversed about the set list. Since this is going to be my first show home since the Camaro tour, I wanna work some tunes from the previous albums into the set so we banged through some tunes and figured out which old songs we were going to do. Me being home is finally starting to feel real.

Rob counts us in and we’re off and in a lot of respects it’s like no time has passed. I have a lot of work to do in terms of my playing but making the pieces fit together again was a very easy process. No wonder I missed my guys…it just works. We jammed out and go through the entire set with little to no real hiccups. We are taking some of the songs apart and adding thigns to them to see if we can spice it up a tad. I wanna start showcasing Rob more, he’s an amazing drummer and in a three piece there’s so much room for stuff like that.

As we were done and they were on their way out we discussed some scheduling things and they left, I immediately went to work. I know I don’t have a normal day job but sometimes it certainly doesn’t feel that way. Between booking the shows for the venues and handling Boy Wonder stuff my days are full. A new date for the California Show came in, as well as some interest from some other clubs around the country. Money’s the problem, I want to take over the world, but I have to be smart about it.

The Zot show hit a snag, one of the bands pulled out, problem was they were supposed to host the jam session. I have to think of something soon. I also had to call Dani Mari to cancel our Wed meeting, my niece Taylor’s birthday is Wed and I wanna be there for that we reschedule for Thursday. I had to call the guys at O.N.E. and tell them that I would have to pass on doing a live music event on a Monday Night. No one wanted to run it, nobody that I work with was interested in playing, so it made sense to let it go. It was my first steady booking job, we booked a lot of great bands and had a lot of fun, but it’s time for the company to evolve.

I watched American Idol for the first time since the auditions, it was rock week, Slash was the mentor, and the kids singing were just bizarre. I was watching enough to be attached to anybody. I get a call from my buddies about seeing Wolverine.

We went and I have to say that aside from some cool action stuff I didn’t really care for the movie all that much. Some of the fanboy stuff they did was cool.

I got home and felt like writing. I had a bunch of cool ideas but no songs, no lyrics. I’m not gonna rush it, when I know what I want to say I should have no trouble saying it.

It’s 3AM so I’m probably gonna go to bed now

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter