Sunday, May 10, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 59

Day 58 - April 8th 2009

Big Day

Zot’s tonight. A better place on a better night. I’ve moved up in the world and the potential to have great shows and to make some money is there. Although we had a couple of band cancellations, I’m very excited. But first things first.

Dad needed me to run the key’s to Tommy’s tires, we had a flat last night on the way home from Trek and had to get it repaired. I also had to get my mom’s uniforms to the cleaners to get pressed.

The rest of the day was spent prepping for the show, getting equipment in order and all that. I spent some time doing some stuff as far as Lickety Split was concerned, but mostly I spent the day making sure that all my equipment still worked. It worked beautifully. I got a call from mom dukes (who was my ride) and I loaded the car.

We pulled up to 122 Lombard Street. Zot, an awesome Belgian Bar and Restaurant with a beer list as long as your arm. I loaded equipment upstairs and one of the managers there was there and ready to help out. I was able to get the PA hooked up as Lydia Rene walked in with her band. The cancellations meant we only had one actual band and a few folks that I had to call last minute. I got Lydia up and running as Katherine and Liat walked in.

To see the new place through their eyes was a pretty cool sight to see. They are two of the few acts from O.N.E. that will be carrying over to Zot if I’m able to continue to book there. They were as happy as I am to have a better room on a better night. With some time for promo we should be able to pack this place. I’m glad that there is a core group of people in the HYPE! and that we are all coming up together. It’s time to move up in the world.

We tried to wait a bit to see if the room would fill out. Kat went up first and she killed it. She’s an amazing talent. When that whole Blues/Pop thing happened with John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson and others there weren’t really a lot of girls that were making headway. Katherine certainly has the potential to hit it big if she starts performing in front of people that are going to latch on her music.

Liat was up next. She wasn’t ready so I had to play two songs. She’s young I’ve know her for a while. She used to do Philly Rising before I hosted and then I was booking her at O.N.E. she was my last residency artist before we wrapped up over there in April. Because of the bands that cancelled she didn’t make much sense in context of all the performers but she held her own like she always does.

We moved onto Lydia Rene, who did well in terms of her music and drawing a crowd. It harkened back ot the late 90’s early 2000’s neo soul movement but with a more raw edge. This young woman has a future in this business. She’s got a record out that people should really buy.

J.A.I. was up next. Perhaps the second or third performer ever to do a performance to tracks at a HYPE! Show. I generally don’t allow it but J.A.I. is an exceptional talent. We once were a part of the same management stable and I’m glad he’s a part of what I’m doing. He brought it.

The jam session, although a great idea in theory needs to be built. A few guys showed up but the lack of attendance caused us to shut it down early. It was kind of the story of the night. I wasn’t all the way happy with the attendance. I made enough money to recoup my costs and I know that it’s going to take a while to build this place up in terms of it being a prime spot but I still wasn’t happy with it. Chris comes up and says the owner wants to talk to us…Great. I was in too fragile a state to be yelled at.

We went downstairs and the owner wanted to tell me how much he loved the night. Says he wants to meet in two weeks and discuss what we can do for them and what they can do for us. This hints towards a future at the venue, which is a good thing. If they do make decision to house the HYPE! based on what they’ve seen, it will be a decision based on quality, which is also good.

If I’m able to get another shot I have to go and re-tool make it different than what I did at O.N.E. what I’m doin at Lickety Split, and what I’m doin at World Café Live. I think this can be something really special if I’m allowed to do something there.

Need sleep so I’ll catch you on the flipside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter