Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 55

Day 54 - May 4th 2009

Monday, the first day of my first full week home from tour. It’s hard to believe it’s only been about 7 days since I’ve been home. There’s been a lot of movement since then. Hard to believe that this time last week I was still on the west coast, living a much different life. Lindsay Rush told me that you can’t compare the road to home and she’s right. I have so many memories but it feels like the tour was two years ago.

I woke up early as I started attempting to put stuff together for Lickety Split calling acts and nailing some stuff down. The tricky part is figuring out the money for all this stuff. One must make sure the acts are apid and paid well, one also must make sure that he earns some money for his efforts.

I broke open my copy of The Police Certifiable on DVD and decided to watch it. If I’m going to be playing in a threepiece band again I might as well watch the best. The Police are my favorite band, mainly because I love the way the pieces fit together. There are very few perfect combinations in pop music but wheter it’s intentional or natural they way they play their instruments compliment each other. Sting has written great songs since leaving The Police and worked with some incredible musicians but no guitarist makes his songs sparkle like Andy Summers and it’s hard for anyone to hold a candle to Stewart Copeland on drums.

I confirm my rehearsal for tomorrow and go down to shred. My Boss Gt-10 has a custom Distortion so I’ve been looking into that so I can get the sound I want. I shredded till about 4 (I am committed to not sucking once we start gigging again)and I got a call from Steve from The Absolute Zeros. He wanted to come to open mic tonight, so I asked him if he would jam with me on Bass.

I got there around 5 and the line was short, likely due to the rain. I got to share some tour stories with Steve and Jack Gleason and I got to catch up slightly with some of the staff as they watched Bang Camaro on You Tube and told me how funny they thought me being in the band was. I’m dealing with people that mainly know me for my music. I did a 180 musically joining Bang Camaro. This is the first time that I’ve been involved in two functioning projects so it’s pretty cool.

By the time I did sign ups at 6:30 the line was a lot longer but still about half the usual length. It was pretty nasty outside, Even still there were more people signed up tonight then last week. Hopefully we’re on the rebound and things will get back to normal.

The open mic started a bit late. I was waiting for Bob who was driving in from West Virginia but we were able to get through everyone. I kicked thigns off with a four song set and am noticing the difference in my singing after 2 months with Bang Camaro, I’m a lot better than I was before I left. The crowd was really live and I saw some great acts. I love hosting hat open mic, If you are a fan of different kinds of music like me it’s perfect. You can see a folk duo, a jazz band, a rap group, and an electronic artist all in one night back to back. It’s pretty sweet. We ended at 11 and had 3 winners so it was a good night .

I got home practiced some more guitar watched Monday Night Raw and went to bed.

First rehearsal with the boys tomorrow, very excited

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter